Sonoma Valley High School is an above average, public school located in Sonoma, CA. It has 1,297 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 19 to 1. According to state test scores, 36% of students are at least proficient in math and 53% in reading.
Sonoma Valley High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B187 Students
- B-162 Students
- A138 Students
- A-132 Students
- A-130 Students
- A+121 Students
- A+114 Students
- B-113 Students
- A+113 Students
- A-104 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.22 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.22 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 62 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.22 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.22 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.22 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.32 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.32 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.32 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.37 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.37 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.37 responses
Schools like Sonoma Valley High School
- B-Rancho Cotate High School
- Cotati-Rohnert Park Unified School District, CA
- 224 reviews
- A-Petaluma High School
- Petaluma Joint Union High School District, CA
- 143 reviews
- B+Vintage High School
- Napa Valley Unified School District, CA
- 363 reviews
- B+Montgomery High School
- Santa Rosa High School District, CA
- 282 reviews
Sonoma Valley High School Reviews
Certain things about this school are better than others, but overall I'm glad to go here! There are some really cool staff members and a lot of AP/academic opportunities, however the campus can be rather dirty and a lot of fights happen here. Bathrooms will commonly close down due to students smoking in them, etc. Additionally, the school buses don't arrive until almost an hour after school lets out. I know that's not the fault of the school itself, but it still sucks that we don't have more drivers in this district. The library could be bigger, however our librarian is very qualified and commonly can be seen helping students with various assignments or computer issues. That reminds me, we each get an assigned Chromebook for class, which is nice (although that's a more recent development as they were implemented my freshman year).
During my time at Sonoma Valley High School, I have learned a lot and changed a lot. One of the main reasons that I have done so well at this school is because I was already ahead in many classes prior to high school. I believe that the AP and Honors programs are incredible due to the amazing staff. The teachers that I have had have, for the most part, been wonderful. The history department and Ms. Manchester have helped me grow as a student. I now feel comfortable doing quick writes, research papers, and analysis. I believe that without these teachers I would not be as successful as a student, as I am today.
As a current student of SVHS, I am disappointed to say that I have not had the best experience. Much of the staff, office and teaching, show little care for their responsibilities as educators. SVHS also faces many issues among students, including fights and clogging sewage lines with vape products, which can create an unsafe atmosphere. These students create disruptions curing class as well.