Overall Niche Grade
- Academicsgrade A+
- Diversitygrade A
- Teachersgrade A+
- College Prepgrade A+
- Clubs & Activitiesgrade A
- Health & Safetygrade A+
- Administrationgrade A
- Sportsgrade A+
- Foodgrade A minus
- Resources & Facilitiesgrade B+
Solon High School is a top rated, public school located in Solon, OH. It has 1,600 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 19 to 1. According to state test scores, 91% of students are at least proficient in math and 92% in reading.
Solon High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- grade A+653 Students
- grade A minus307 Students
- grade A minus296 Students
- grade A+280 Students
- grade B265 Students
- grade A minus250 Students
- grade A+149 Students
- grade B minus142 Students
- grade B minus125 Students
- grade B122 Students
Living in the Area
Overall Niche Grade
- Cost of Livinggrade B
- Good for Familiesgrade A+
- Housinggrade A
Median Household Income
Median Home Value
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school. 48 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there. 48 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 169 responses
- Varsity Football Games17%
- Plays and Musicals17%
- Participating in clubs16%
- Marching band at Friday night football games11%
- Attending school dances9%
- Attending pep rallies7%
- Varsity Baskeball Games7%
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive. 58 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy. 58 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic. 58 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons. 70 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students. 70 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom. 70 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
$16,669 / year
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in. 80 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need. 80 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations. 80 responses
Schools like Solon High School
- grade A+Orange High School
- Orange City School District, OH
- Rating 3.82 out of 5 114 reviews
- grade A+Beachwood High School
- Beachwood City School District, OH
- Rating 3.87 out of 5 112 reviews
- grade AShaker Heights High School
- Shaker Heights City School District, OH
- Rating 3.9 out of 5 323 reviews
- grade A+Hudson High School
- Hudson City School District, OH
- Rating 4.05 out of 5 312 reviews
Solon High School Reviews
Rating 4.06 out of 5 431 reviews
Selecting a category below will take you to another page
While Solon High School has a very diverse staff and student body, a large majority of the teachers seem to prefer keeping their students grades up and preparing them for college over their students well-being. The education is great, but in terms of conversation and thought process, it's all we ever talk about. There's not usually a whole lot of real conversation, it's usually just, "Oh I have a 96% in [Class] I'm failing so bad" or, "I'm so tired I'm just gonna sleep in all of my classes today." and to put icing on the cake, "You got a B on that quiz?!?! Wow you're so dumb how did you even get into [Random Honors or AP Class]???? While all of this may be true, the music program is amazing and thriving. We currently have ~350 students in the band alone, and have overall 4 bands, 3 orchestras, and 4-5 choirs as well.
Lots of diversity to be seen, but I find this school to be inclined towards the needs of the richer and "top students", which encompasses those who are both academically and physically gifted. It's easy to see the vast differences between the "honors" and AP classes as compares to the "regular" courses provided in the curriculum. There are also quite a few teachers that don't care about their students. As said in many other reviews, many mandatory items found in the school have inflated prices(one noted example is the school lock, in which no student is allowed to buy their own lock in anywhere outside of the school bookstore). Many higher level academics are offered to all students, which is good, but more specifically in the school orchestra, it is severely underfunded as compared to the school bands and choirs. I would also keep in mind how immensely competitive this school is, which leads to a higher toxicity among student groups(Speech and Debate, for example).
Amazing staff and very diverse! Food is awful and parents should be more involved. Solon HS is very good with academics but not very good with school culture and relationships. While I feel prepared for college academically I cannot say that solon HS prepared me socially for life beyond high school. They did not bother to connect with me in ways that went beyond the school environment and I do not feel that they cared for me personally. Academics are important but so are relationships and helping to make every student feel like a part of the school. Also, the administration is more concerned with test scores and being the best than checking in with kids personally. You become a number, a test score, to them.