Overall Niche Grade
- Academicsgrade B+
- Diversitygrade C
- Teachersgrade A minus
- College Prepgrade B minus
- Clubs & Activitiesgrade B+
- Health & Safetygrade A
- Administrationgrade B+
- Sportsgrade A+
- Foodgrade A minus
- Resources & Facilitiesgrade B+
Solon High School is an above average, public school located in Solon, IA. It has 475 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 16 to 1. According to state test scores, 87% of students are at least proficient in math and 87% in reading.
Solon High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- grade A109 Students
- grade A85 Students
- grade B minus51 Students
- grade B+43 Students
- grade A minus20 Students
- grade B20 Students
- grade B19 Students
- grade B14 Students
- grade B12 Students
- grade A12 Students
Living in the Area
Overall Niche Grade
- Cost of Livinggrade B
- Good for Familiesgrade A
- Housinggrade A
Median Household Income
Median Home Value
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school. 7 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there. 7 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 20 responses
- Going to state in sports and prom are popular.30%
- Football games25%
- Participating or performing in a sport15%
- Music activities and performances10%
- Pep rallies5%
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive. 9 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy. 9 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic. 9 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons. 10 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students. 10 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom. 10 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
$21,804 / year
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in. 12 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need. 12 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations. 12 responses
Schools like Solon High School
- grade A minusMount Vernon High School
- Mount Vernon Community School District, IA
- Rating 3.87 out of 5 53 reviews
- grade B+Marion High School
- Marion Independent School District, IA
- Rating 3.85 out of 5 88 reviews
- grade BClear Creek Amana High School
- Clear Creek Amana Community School District, IA
- Rating 3.71 out of 5 137 reviews
- grade BPrairie High School
- College Community School District, IA
- Rating 3.75 out of 5 247 reviews
Solon High School Reviews
Rating 4.03 out of 5 79 reviews
Selecting a category below will take you to another page
I love Solon high school! Through out my 4 years here, I have felt welcomed and at home. I have received a tremendous education thanks to the great teachers and staff. I decided to take some of the harder, advanced classes here. These math and science courses have made me feel prepared for college! All athletics at Solon High School are fantastic. The support from parents and our community is amazing and I know that all of our athletes appreciate it. Our fine arts are also a big part of what makes Solon high school so great. I have been apart of both choir and jazz choir. These groups have shaped me to be the person I am today. If someone was considering coming to Solon high school, I would encourage them to do so! They will not only get a fantastic education, but their life would be impacted greatly for the better.
The school gave me a lot of opportunities in and out of school that I wouldn't get at other places. I like the school's philosophy on being able to do as many activities as you wanted. The school and community is also very tight-knit and will do anything they can to help anyone in need. I also loved getting involved with all the extracurriculars!
Solon High School is one of the highlights of the Solon community. The football team is one of the most important aspects of the Solon lifestyle, and the community comes together for every game to support our phenomenal team. The community also gathers around our other award-winning groups and competitive teams, such as our jazz choirs, cross country teams, and National Honor Society. Every single teacher at Solon goes out of their way to ensure that students not only know but understand, which creates an outstanding academic program. Solon also offers multiple advanced and AP classes, but there is room for more rigorous classes in the schedule. Solon's biggest weakness, unfortunately, is diversity, which means that most students don't get to know very many minority classmates. This is an issue that is difficult to address, but as Solon has grown, it has slowly become more diverse.