grade A minus
Overall Niche Grade
- Academicsgrade A minus
- Diversitygrade C
- Teachersgrade A
- College Prepgrade A minus
- Clubs & Activitiesgrade B+
- Health & Safetygrade A minus
- Administrationgrade A minus
- Sportsgrade A
- Foodgrade A minus
- Resources & Facilitiesgrade B+
Shoreham-Wading River High School is a highly rated, public school located in Shoreham, NY. It has 770 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 14 to 1. According to state test scores, 92% of students are at least proficient in math and 99% in reading.
Shoreham-Wading River High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- grade A minus98 Students
- grade A minus80 Students
- grade C51 Students
- grade A+48 Students
- grade B+47 Students
- grade A+45 Students
- grade A+42 Students
- grade A42 Students
- grade B41 Students
- grade B minus40 Students
Note: School map boundaries may have changed for the current school year so please contact your school district to verify school assignment for your child.
Living in the Area
Overall Niche Grade
- Cost of Livinggrade C
- Good for Familiesgrade B+
- Housinggrade C+
Median Household Income
Median Home Value
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
grade A minus
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school. 8 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there. 7 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 27 responses
- Coffee house33%
- Senior day19%
- Lax Out Cancer11%
- Natural Helpers11%
- Fall Muscial4%
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive. 11 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy. 11 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic. 11 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons. 14 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students. 14 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom. 14 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
$33,300 / year
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in. 20 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need. 20 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations. 20 responses
Schools like Shoreham-Wading River High School
- grade B+Miller Place High School
- Miller Place Union Free School District, NY
- Rating 3.62 out of 5 170 reviews
- grade BEastport-South Manor Junior/Senior High School
- Eastport-South Manor Central School District, NY
- Rating 3.67 out of 5 238 reviews
- grade ABayport-Blue Point High School
- Bayport-Blue Point Union Free School District, NY
- Rating 3.63 out of 5 100 reviews
- grade ASmithtown High School East
- Smithtown Central School District, NY
- Rating 3.77 out of 5 222 reviews
Shoreham-Wading River High School Reviews
Rating 3.59 out of 5 108 reviews
Selecting a category below will take you to another page
My 2 kids granduated with honors from SWR. The sad part is that for all the years that we voted for schoo budgets and NYS would reject shoreham because the families income levels! So because we have hard working middle class people who work hard for their money shouldn't get federal funding, yet the schools with poor academics , horrible gang issues, and other things I prefer not to be taken the wrong way. I have lived in shoreham for 12 years and what I love about Shoreham is the generation living. There are families who have lived in shoreham , their kids and their kid's kids. I think we need a more diversity in the school, but that is the only thing I can say is an issue.
Shoreham-Wading River has a very good academic program with many supportive, inspiring teachers. Special-ed students are integrated into classes with other students, allowing equal education for all students regardless of mental challenges. As an LGBT+ member, I have also felt comfortable and safe within the school district. There are also plenty of clubs to choose from that allow students to choose their own education and find new hobbies outside the classroom. However, the school is not racially diverse, and I feel that there is not enough awareness about the bullying that occurs due to someone's racial or ethnic background. The school needs improvement in teaching students about cultural diversity. Although cultures are taught in history classes, I feel it can be implemented in more classes. Despite the negatives, I feel prepared to enter into college, and I'm proud of the friends and teachers I've met while living here.
I enjoyed all of my four years at Shoreham-Wading River High School! The school encourages a positive learning environment, and all the staff is amazing in helping you to prepare for a bright future!