Shelton High School is an above average, public school located in Shelton, CT. It has 1,444 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 13 to 1. According to state test scores, 51% of students are at least proficient in math and 77% in reading.
Shelton High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A347 Students
- B-227 Students
- B-160 Students
- B130 Students
- B-130 Students
- B105 Students
- A-104 Students
- A+98 Students
- B-94 Students
- B-87 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.44 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.44 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 82 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.47 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.47 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.47 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.59 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.59 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.59 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.64 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.64 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.64 responses
Schools like Shelton High School
- B+Jonathan Law High School
- Milford School District, CT
- 177 reviews
- B+Branford High School
- Branford School District, CT
- 236 reviews
- A-Joseph A. Foran High School
- Milford School District, CT
- 219 reviews
- BNorth Branford High School
- North Branford School District, CT
- 142 reviews
Shelton High School Reviews
Shelton High School was a school that tried to improve towards my last years enrolled but ultimately fell flat. Its strong point was the number of clubs within it and sports available as extracurriculars. Safety was also well handled as police were always outside or monitoring students in the hallways. The building of the school itself was drab and the harsh lighting of classrooms along with a lack of windows did not provide a comfortable learning environment. Academically, teachers would vary from very passionate to extremely lax and unimpactful. The courses available had somewhat of a variety, but they also would be canceled without enough students enrolled. The school did provide advanced placement courses but they often felt dumbed down or simple. Lunch food in the cafeteria was sub-par and appeared to be previously frozen food. Overall, the school is serviceable, but I can't say that I'm glad I attended Shelton High School over other schools.
As my time at Shelton High School reaches its end, I have come to realize that it has been an overall positive experience. I think that while Shelton High is a great school with many fantastic teachers and faculty members, there is definitely room for improvement. STEM and Humanities courses should receive more funding to improve the lessons and overall learning experience for students. I also feel that while there are some amazing teachers at Shelton High, there are also many who are not. There are some teachers who show no interest whatsoever in ensuring that their students are successfully understanding and applying their lessons. I believe that for the most part the environment at Shelton High is positive, and I have had a pleasant experience thus far. I am hopeful that my final year at this school will be a great one due to the changes in administration and the dedication that they show in reguards to improving our school.
I believe I was able to improve academically over the past 4 years of being in Shelton High School. There were always a next challenging course to take and Shelton offered a variety of electives that students may find their passion in. Although some were not perfect, there were influential teachers that genuinely teaches their kids. I believe these teachers were the ones that helped me improve academically.