Overall Niche Grade
- College PrepB-
- Clubs & ActivitiesB
- Health & SafetyC+
- Resources & FacilitiesC+
Shelbyville Central High School is a public school located in Shelbyville, TN. It has 1,506 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 19 to 1. According to state test scores, 6% of students are at least proficient in math and 19% in reading.
Shelbyville Central High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B-185 Students
- C+118 Students
- A-108 Students
- B57 Students
- B-56 Students
- B56 Students
- B48 Students
- B42 Students
- A+42 Students
- C33 Students
Note: School map boundaries may have changed for the current school year so please contact your school district to verify school assignment for your child.
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.12 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.12 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.15 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.15 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.15 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.15 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.15 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.15 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.15 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.15 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.15 responses
Schools like Shelbyville Central High School
Shelbyville Central High School Reviews
I enjoyed the small town experience with friends who are genuine and community oriented. The teachers are willing to help students who need help and show a desire to excel! I loved that there were students from a wide array of backgrounds. Most of the teachers and administration are local and can help graduates find a job, create a good resume and help with applications. The standard classes are just that - standard with a basic instruction model. Also, the students can be a bit clicky and stand offish if you are not 'one of them'. Because it is a large school, one can become lost in the crowd so you have to create good relationships with teachers.
Shelbyville Central has a great group of teachers and staff. The teachers, for the most part, have good relationships with the students. Teachers will go above and beyond for each student in their classes and do what they can to make sure each student passes and is on track to graduate. The administration is very strong. They are very helpful to the students and help correct them when they start to slack off or their grades start to slump. The administration has a surprisingly good relationship to the students and it seems they try to meet each person individually. They are easy to meet with and express any concerns to. The councilors are great as well. They are great about replying to any questions or problems a student might have. They are very flexible and in many cases my councilor has emailed me back on short notice and even on her own time. She has helped me tremendously with applying to colleges and scholarships.
Shelbyville Central Highschool not only teaches students the importance of diversity, but it also allows students to express their arts and talents in a ton of different ways. Central Highschool has always felt like a safe space to me ever since freshman year, our principal is amazing and the staff is always around to continuously push us to achieve the absolute best. At Central I've never felt secluded from activities or felt like I couldn't perform academically as well as others. The teachers and students get along, which allows everything to flow perfectly in the learning environment and I honestly couldn't ask for better.