Overall Niche Grade
- College PrepC+
- Clubs & ActivitiesA-
- Health & SafetyA+
- Resources & FacilitiesA
Shawsheen Valley Technical High School is an above average, public school located in Billerica, MA. It has 1,294 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 10 to 1. According to state test scores, 82% of students are at least proficient in math and 96% in reading.
Shawsheen Valley Technical High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B+169 Students
- C+108 Students
- C+101 Students
- A96 Students
- B-82 Students
- C+67 Students
- A+62 Students
- B59 Students
- B+55 Students
- B52 Students
Note: School map boundaries may have changed for the current school year so please contact your school district to verify school assignment for your child.
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.22 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.22 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.25 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.25 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.25 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.33 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.33 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.33 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.35 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.35 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.35 responses
Schools like Shawsheen Valley Technical High School
- B-Nashoba Valley Technical High School
- Public School
- Westford, MA
- 94 reviews
- B+Beverly High School
- Beverly Public Schools, MA
- 149 reviews
- B+Stoneham High School
- Stoneham Public Schools, MA
- 97 reviews
- A-Swampscott High School
- Swampscott Public Schools, MA
- 81 reviews
Shawsheen Valley Technical High School Reviews
I fell in love with my shop as soon as I picked it and got in freshman year! I love my shop teachers as well as MOST of my academic teachers. There are a few teachers who aren’t quite the best at their jobs but the majority are really nice and good at what they do. While on the topic, there are times where administration isn’t the best. Especially when dealing with more serious topics, they provide little to no actual help. The variety of trades in which you can study is very large and good for whatever you may want to do in the future. If you like anything in the medical fields or any sort of art or business field they’ll prepare you the best they can for college. If college isn’t for you then the construction shops or some of the many others will prepare you to get to work straight out of high school. Overall I believe that this is an amazing school and couldn’t imagine what I’d want to do if I hadn’t gone here.
As an alumni of this school who is now on their first year at college i would like to say that Shawsheen Valley Technical High School is a pretty good school looking back on it. The opportunity that the school provided through the technical program has been one of the main reasons why I'm even in college. The teachers helped push me to do things to progress myself that I did not think were possible for me to achieve. Along with the shop teachers being very helpful at providing new opportunities to help students grow, the academic teachers weren't half bad either. However, it still was a high school at the end of the day so there is always going to be drama present, but that is mainly because of the students not the faculty.
Shawsheen has mostly great teachers and excellent security, but the guidance department needs some serious work. These past four years, I have only been comfortable with one counselor, and the rest I've seen aren't very helpful. Also, when enacting security measures, it needs to be kept in mind that these kids are in Highschool. They shouldn't be charged after forgetting their lanyard any given 5 times, especially if they haven't lost it. Advocating for safety is absolutely necessary, but the students themselves need advocation as well.