Shaw High School is a public school located in Columbus, GA. It has 1,235 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 17 to 1. According to state test scores, 16% of students are at least proficient in math and 38% in reading.
Shaw High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B-259 Students
- B168 Students
- A+157 Students
- B+103 Students
- C+99 Students
- C+85 Students
- B79 Students
- A72 Students
- B-65 Students
- B+64 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.26 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.26 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.34 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.34 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.34 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.40 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.39 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.40 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.41 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.41 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.41 responses
Shaw High School Reviews
Shaw High School has the potential to be an amazing school but lacks the motive and proper supervision to act upon it. There wasn't a proper homecoming week, and the makeup for this was lackluster. There was a make-up dance MONTHS later, but this was student innovated and faculty-threatened to not happen. There were only two pep rallies: mediocre ones. The school focused on students attending in proper dress code, but it's a biased system. The code is unfairly enforced against females, and a violation leads to suspension, deterring students from learning in class. Shaw keeps students inside of suspension, and Saturday school, for being late to class. Although there can be repercussions for being late, punishing late students is void when the punishment is keeping students out of class entirely. Janitors aren't paid to clean classrooms. 65%+ of the entire world's population is lactose intolerant, yet the school has no alternative for milk. The lunch is comparable to prison food.
I found Shaw High School to be a great high school. The curriculum allowed great opportunities for expanding the student body's mindset. The Mass Communications Programs was a great program for preparation for college as well as the Business Administrative Courses. The student culture felt welcoming and inviting. Had I attended another college in Columbus, Georgia, I'm not so sure that I would have chosen the college career path that I have chosen. In further compliment of the School's curriculum, I chose a college career path that opposed the course curriculum offered at Shaw High School. However I still believe I was very well prepared for the Architectural career path I have chosen. Great School.
Shaw High Scool is overall amazing school. The teachers really want everyone to pass and graduate at their perspective graduation date. They don’t give out grades you have to work for it . For the magnet and AP students, it’s really a challenge and it really preps for the college course. I enjoyed my experience at Shaw!