Overall Niche Grade
- College PrepC
- Clubs & ActivitiesC
- Health & SafetyC-
- Resources & FacilitiesC
Shamokin Area High School is a public school located in Shamokin, PA. It has 685 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 17 to 1. According to state test scores, 67% of students are at least proficient in math and 72% in reading.
Shamokin Area High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B94 Students
- B76 Students
- A+67 Students
- B42 Students
- C+36 Students
- A34 Students
- A-33 Students
- B-30 Students
- C+29 Students
- B-27 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.12 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.12 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 28 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.14 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.14 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.14 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.21 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.21 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.21 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.22 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.22 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.22 responses
Schools like Shamokin Area High School
- B-Mount Carmel Area High School
- Mount Carmel Area School District, PA
- 54 reviews
- C+Tri-Valley Junior/Senior High School
- Tri-Valley School District, PA
- 59 reviews
- B-North Schuylkill Junior/Senior High School
- North Schuylkill School District, PA
- 116 reviews
- CWilliams Valley Junior/Senior High School
- Williams Valley School District, PA
- 59 reviews
Shamokin Area High School Reviews
Shamokin Area is an amazing school filled with great people and plenty of opportunities. The teachers all take their jobs very seriously and try to make the students' experiences there pleasant. There is an abundance of sports and organizations to join, such as the volleyball team and interact club, and there is always some sort of community event going on. It's a fantastic place!
I say it's good because they have several amazing classes that I've gotten to take and great people I've met. There are a lot of amazing teachers and staff, and most try to make the classes interesting for the students. For example, every social studies class I've had since 7th grade has been absolutely amazing because of the teachers (otherwise I'd be a bit bored). My biggest issue with the school is that they fund the sports that don't do well, too much. And only about 25% of students do an art program (take an art class or do band) because of sever lack of funding. I also wish we had more classes and clubs, but I understand why we can't have a lot more, due to it being a small area. Though, a great thing is that there has been more diversity in the last two years, and a lot of people have become more accepting of different races, sexualities, and genders!
I have been attending this school district since Pre-K. My favorite thing about the district is how helpful the teachers are. Teachers are everything when it comes to school, they can make or break your whole experience. I have hardly ever had any issue with any teacher involved with the district. Each and every teacher is different, but they all have the same goal... which is to make sure every student heading out into the world is ready for what's to come!