Shaker High School is a top rated, public school located in Latham, NY. It has 1,918 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 12 to 1. According to state test scores, 99% of students are at least proficient in math and 98% in reading.
Shaker High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B+123 Students
- A+108 Students
- A+106 Students
- A+103 Students
- A+95 Students
- A-93 Students
- A-91 Students
- B89 Students
- A79 Students
- A-78 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.16 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.16 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 50 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.21 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.21 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.21 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.25 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.25 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.25 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.24 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.24 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.24 responses
Schools like Shaker High School
- AGuilderland High School
- Guilderland Central School District, NY
- 233 reviews
- A+Niskayuna High School
- Niskayuna Central School District, NY
- 221 reviews
- A-Clayton A. Bouton High School
- Voorheesville Central School District, NY
- 43 reviews
- A-Columbia High School
- East Greenbush Central School District, NY
- 161 reviews
Shaker High School Reviews
Shaker is the epitome of a rich kid school a fact I was just recently mulling over. Other students complain about the callous staff but in my experience the staff of Shaker are very nice! Over my four years I bonded with both my counselors and select teachers. The wide variety of classes available for student perusal touched upon many interests though I did find it disappointing that I was not allowed to take all the English classes I wanted and had to instead take a class I wasn't that interested in.
I wouldn’t change a thing about my high school experience at Shaker High School because that is where I have met all my friends, where I have grown and where I feel comfortable. The teachers and staff are always there if you need them, and that has been helpful for my friends and me. The tech, art, business, FACS, music, and more departments, allow us to venture out in what we are interested in. The student body is also what makes Shaker great. We have the privilege of having an administration that cares about what we want and the student body makes sure that what ever event we want to partake in, becomes something we do partake in. For example, last year, we introduced TedTalksxShaker and it was such an amazing event. We also organized a walkout with the administration in order to participate in the nationwide walkouts for the Stoneman Douglas HS shooting. What I would change, is to make history electives available to students sooner during high school.
I think that shaker high school is a very challenging school it has challenged me to not only work hard and be a better student but a better person. Also, Shaker provides a lot of extra help if needed and there is a great staff that is always there to help their students. I feel like shaker has prepared me for college more than any High school could have. I really enjoyed my experience learning here!