Overall Niche Grade
- College PrepB+
- Clubs & ActivitiesC+
- Health & SafetyB-
- Resources & FacilitiesC
Service High School is an above average, public school located in Anchorage, AK. It has 1,535 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 22 to 1. According to state test scores, 21% of students are at least proficient in math and 31% in reading.
Service High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- C+338 Students
- A+98 Students
- B-83 Students
- A67 Students
- B+62 Students
- A-52 Students
- A-42 Students
- B42 Students
- A-42 Students
- B38 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.17 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.17 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 74 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.25 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.25 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.25 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.36 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.36 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.36 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.38 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.38 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.38 responses
Service High School Reviews
For the most part, I enjoyed my 4 years at Service High School. After having participated in Cross Country Running, Partners Club, and National Honor Society, I can confidently say that the school community is fairly robust. From an academic perspective, there is a variety of challenging AP courses to take, and the two main academic programs (Biomedical Career Academy and Seminar School), offer many opportunities for students to learn about things they truly care about. The school culture is relatively nice, although there are a few disingenuous people among a sea of easygoing students.
I had a great experience attending Service High School. The atmosphere was very welcoming and I felt very safe as a student. The teachers and staff are very kind and do a great job at connecting to their students. I enjoyed the inclusivity as we are one of the most inclusive schools in the nation as rewarded by ESPN. I enjoyed the many school events that were provided because it gave students the chance to interact with other people. Service High does a great job at minimizing the stigma of upper vs underclassmen. At Service, students are allowed to express themselves freely and to discover their own passion. Our many clubs and art classes really help with the welcoming environment. However, one minor thing I'd change is the school culture. Although we are inclusive, not many people seem to have much school spirit. More pep rallies and exciting events to bring students closer together would definitely change the environment.
I really have enjoyed attending Service High School. The student body is extremely diverse and there are several really amazing programs. I am involved in the Seminar Program, which has helped me improve my writing and reading skills tremendously. Service also offers the biomedical career academy, which offers great opportunities for students interested in the sciences. The students at Service are generally very welcoming and the staff is always there to help. Service high school is also extremely inclusive and Partners Club helps disabled students become immersed in school activities and helps them make lasting friendships.