Service High School is a highly rated, public school located in Anchorage, AK. It has 1,621 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 21 to 1. According to state test scores, 27% of students are at least proficient in math and 31% in reading.
Service High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- C+294 Students
- A+76 Students
- B72 Students
- B+47 Students
- A46 Students
- A-39 Students
- A-33 Students
- B31 Students
- B31 Students
- B+31 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.15 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.15 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 70 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.23 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.23 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.23 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.34 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.34 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.34 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.36 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.36 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.36 responses
Service High School Reviews
Service High school has great programs to advance your knowledge and why of thinking. The classes are easy and made fun with a decent amount of homework. The teaching isn't very great, there are a few good teachers but specifically the math teachers aren't very clear and hard to get help from. If you're interested in sports its a top 3 school in anchorage in most sports. I would recommend going into the seminar school or the biomedical career academy program within Service for better teachers.
As a sophomore of Service High School, I have got to say that these past two years have been excellent because not only are the staff awesome and welcoming, but the students are too. Both staff and student are always engaging with each other and helping out whether it be from personal problems to just having a bad day. Moving on, the academic here is pretty okay since sometimes some teacher would track off from the subject and talk about their own personal life for the rest of class.Though academic maybe extremely excellent, the administration are okay due to the fact that they are not all in the same aspects of rule. So yeah, administration here isn't on the same page, but hey who am I to judge their work. Overall, I got to say that Service High School is pretty awesome and excellent with many opportunities not only for the staff, but also their students!
Service is a nice balance between cultures and socioeconomic statuses, I've really enjoyed my time there and most people are really friendly. The school is really accommodating to disabilities of all kinds as well and different gender identities and sexual orientations. We have clubs for both and a girl with down syndrome won homecoming queen last year, which was pretty cool. I wish the facilities were better, as well as the theatre and music programs, but they're good enough to be involved. The teachers are well educated in their subjects and offer a variety of learning styles, I have personally enjoyed the variety of programs of education offered at the school. Choosing to be writing and social studies heavy over being science heavy in my education has really helped me todevelop who I am in an academic setting.