grade A minus
Overall Niche Grade
- Academicsgrade B+
- Diversitygrade B minus
- Teachersgrade A minus
- College Prepgrade B
- Clubs & Activitiesgrade B
- Health & Safetygrade A
- Administrationgrade A minus
- Sportsgrade A minus
- Foodgrade C+
- Resources & Facilitiesgrade B minus
Sergeant Bluff-Luton Senior High School is a highly rated, public school located in Sergeant Bluff, IA. It has 496 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 18 to 1. According to state test scores, 67% of students are at least proficient in math and 82% in reading.
Sergeant Bluff-Luton Senior High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Percent Proficient - Reading
Percent Proficient - Math
Average Graduation Rate
No data available
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- grade A86 Students
- grade B minus81 Students
- grade B+77 Students
- grade A68 Students
- grade B+40 Students
- grade B+39 Students
- grade A minus29 Students
- grade B22 Students
- grade A minus20 Students
- grade C19 Students
Note: School map boundaries may have changed for the current school year so please contact your school district to verify school assignment for your child.
Living in the Area
grade A minus
Overall Niche Grade
- Cost of Livinggrade B+
- Good for Familiesgrade A
- Housinggrade A
Median Household Income
Median Home Value
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school. 6 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there. 6 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 8 responses
- Homecoming and Prom63%
- Cross Country Meets13%
- Powder Puff Football Game13%
- Track Meets13%
grade B minus
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive. 6 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy. 6 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic. 6 responses
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons. 10 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students. 10 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom. 10 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
$12,650 / year
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in. 12 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need. 12 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations. 12 responses
Schools like Sergeant Bluff-Luton Senior High School
- grade A minusWoodbury Central High School
- Woodbury Central Community School District, IA
- Rating 4.35 out of 5 23 reviews
- grade A minusDakota Valley High School
- Dakota Valley School District, SD
- Rating 3.82 out of 5 39 reviews
- grade BLawton Junior/Senior High School
- Lawton-Bronson Community School District, IA
- Rating 3.72 out of 5 43 reviews
- grade BHinton High School
- Hinton Community School District, IA
- Rating 3.47 out of 5 77 reviews
Sergeant Bluff-Luton Senior High School Reviews
Rating 3.97 out of 5 71 reviews
Selecting a category below will take you to another page
This is a very nice school! I loved going here. The teachers are nice and kind and will prepare you for college. This school was especially awarded the national blue ribbon award. I never really knew what that meant but apparently it is very good to have. We definitely earned that award, because of the teachers and students, and the whole community by all coming together. Sergeant Bluff Luton is very passionate about learning and all the teachers want is for us to succeed. Our athletes also do an amazing job because almost in every sport we have made it to state. I wouldn't want to go to another school besides this one!
My experience with this school was short but it left a positive impact on me. I loved most of the teachers and how welcoming and relatable they were. Another thing I was really grateful for at the building was that it partnered up with the WIT community college and students were able to do dual enrollment. One thing that I would like to see a change in would be the courses offered. Although there were quite a few courses and elective to chose from, it would have been better if there were more electives including diversity, mental health, visual arts and vocational education. I also feel like there wasn't a huge variety of clubs and sports to join which may limit a student's social experience during his/her high school career.
My experience with Sergeant Bluff-Lution High School has been pretty good. The teachers have been amazing. They always there are their students and treat everyone equally. In 2018 my school received the blue ribbon award in adademics and also has been expectional in all areas of learning. I appreciate how my school takes college readiness very seriously. At SB-L my high school counselors are able to give students the abilty to take college WIT classes for free and also make good efforts to conference with students for their future. I'm very lucky to have the ability to attend my high school. I believe that I am ready for college because of my school.