Overall Niche Grade
- College PrepA
- Clubs & ActivitiesA-
- Health & SafetyA
- Resources & FacilitiesB
Scotch Plains-Fanwood High School is a highly rated, public school located in Scotch Plains, NJ. It has 1,574 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 14 to 1. According to state test scores, 53% of students are at least proficient in math and 69% in reading.
Scotch Plains-Fanwood High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A259 Students
- A+149 Students
- B136 Students
- A-126 Students
- A116 Students
- A+108 Students
- B+103 Students
- B-87 Students
- A+86 Students
- A84 Students
Note: School map boundaries may have changed for the current school year so please contact your school district to verify school assignment for your child.
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.30 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.30 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.32 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.32 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.32 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.35 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.35 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.35 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.36 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.36 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.36 responses
Schools like Scotch Plains-Fanwood High School
- A+New Providence High School
- New Providence School District, NJ
- 88 reviews
- AMetuchen High School
- Metuchen Public School District, NJ
- 122 reviews
- AMadison High School
- Madison Public School District, NJ
- 92 reviews
- AWatchung Hills Regional High School
- Public School
- Warren, NJ
- 352 reviews
Scotch Plains-Fanwood High School Reviews
SPFHS is a very good school when it comes to analyzing a public school for teenagers. There are many extracurricular activities available for students with varied interests an talents. Personally, the music department was something I was part of. Clubs and activities are a vital part of the high school experience, as it opens up time to socialize and find talents in the things you love. When it comes to education, teachers are always available, but a student will not do well if they do not work for themselves. Different teachers/aids/counselors have different personalities. This school definitely provides a great education and is slightly above average.
My experience at the high school has been relatively positive. The education is superior to many other places, and we have some of the best teachers in the state. In regards to classes, there’s a number of options to choose from, allowing students to explore their interests and even begin to specialize in a subject before college. The only downside comes from the administrators. They’re lovely people, but refuse to cooperate. Reluctant to close school for snow days or weather related issues, in the past, there have been serious issues as a result. Additionally, they lock bathrooms to prevent students from vaping, but don’t take into consideration that some students actually need to use the bathroom. There have been times when every single bathroom, except for inside the locker room, inside the school have been closed. Unfortunately, they also lock the locker room between periods, leaving the single bathroom unobtainable to the students in need.
The school itself is fine. Students who are organized do well in the school. Most students manage to go to college or do whatever they set out to do. However, the diversity is low. Most of the departments are good; the weakest link is probably the world language department. For administration, the principal is very active and the guidance counselors are very nice. Non-academic related things are solid too. The school has had very successful soccer and swim teams for both boys and girls. Additionally, their track/cross country teams, Lacrosse teams, and the boys wrestling team are also progressing. Their music program is very consistent. Overall a very decent public school in a nice neighborhood.