Overall Niche Grade
- College PrepA-
- Clubs & ActivitiesA-
- Health & SafetyC-
- Resources & FacilitiesB+
Science Hill High School is a highly rated, public, magnet school located in Johnson City, TN. It has 2,277 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 16 to 1. According to state test scores, 57% of students are at least proficient in math and 60% in reading.
Science Hill High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B568 Students
- A-472 Students
- A+164 Students
- B159 Students
- B-143 Students
- B-114 Students
- B108 Students
- B97 Students
- B94 Students
- B-76 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.31 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.31 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.33 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.33 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.33 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.47 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.47 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.47 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.50 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.49 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.50 responses
Schools like Science Hill High School
- ADobyns-Bennett High School
- Kingsport City Schools, TN
- 343 reviews
- AUniversity School
- Washington County School District, TN
- 69 reviews
- B+Sullivan South High School
- Sullivan County School District, TN
- 120 reviews
- B+Elizabethton High School
- Elizabethton City Schools, TN
- 167 reviews
Science Hill High School Reviews
I enjoy the environment here! Every teacher I had helped me grow as a person. I feel strongly connected to the student body and I have made a lot of friends at this school. There are several learning opportunities inside and outside of the classroom; in addition to offering several challenging classes, there are several clubs and sports to participate in.
Science Hill has an amazing campus, ranked 17th in the state of Tennessee and a 93% graduation rate. I loved that my school offered Women’s wrestling a growing. As a hispanic minority, they offered ESL (English as a second language) which was extremely helpful as a first generation American. it The administration and staff handled the 2020 school year affected by the COVID-19 pandemic with a few bumps but it was overcome. They offered hybrid and remote learning. It is magnet school with 27% minority. It offers many classes on career technology. We are offered opportunities to take the Advanced Placement tests. We live in the same City as East Tennessee University. In conclusion, Science Hill is an amazing school. We have a slogan “Topper 4 life”, because of the unforgettable memories made here.
The four years I spent at Science Hill High School were pretty good. I remember being a freshman and being nervous. I think it is really smart the way Science Hill basically mostly separates and keeps freshmen with other freshmen, unless they're taking a CTE (Career Technical Education) class. One thing I thought was interesting when I was a freshman, the wide variety of CTE classes they offered. I went with Digital Arts and Design (which has now become A/V Production). The CTE course is what I followed and now I plan on majoring in Digital Media. I learned a lot through Digital Arts and Design and the courses (Digital Arts and Design 1, Digital Arts and Design 2, and Digital Arts and Design 3) were a lot of fun and I met a lot of great people. I also had great teachers throughout my time at Science Hill too. I've always been mostly a Math and Science person but my English Teachers were superb and made me really enjoy taking English. The History teachers I had were also amazing too.