Science & Math Institute is an above average, public school located in Tacoma, WA. It has 466 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 19 to 1. According to state test scores, 42% of students are at least proficient in math and 77% in reading.
Science & Math Institute Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A+121 Students
- B+81 Students
- A-74 Students
- A67 Students
- A-49 Students
- A-41 Students
- B-38 Students
- A-35 Students
- B+30 Students
- A+28 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.22 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.22 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 69 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.21 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.21 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.21 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.27 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.27 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.27 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.27 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.27 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.27 responses
Science & Math Institute Reviews
I love the Science & Math Institute because of the strong sense of community there. The staff actively work to create a friendly environment by having mentor group every Friday, an all-school retreat before school starts, and mixed grade level classes. As a student, I feel listened to. If I ever have a problem with a teacher or another student (which I doubt I will), I know people that I can talk to that will help me with my issue. Additionally, I love the classes I am able to take there. Our school has a Makerspace, an internship program, and even an Early Learning Center, which is great for me because I want to major in education in the future. Our school does not have sports, which is one thing I would change because it makes some people unsure about applying. Our diversity could also be better; I only have two teachers of color. Overall, I love this school, and I would definitely recommend it to everyone. It will change your life for the better.
The teachers are some of the most understanding and supportive people that I have ever had in a classroom. They genuinely care about their students and what they are teaching because they are allowed to create their own ciriculum. The school as a whole is motivated and close knit to their class. While we don’t have school sports are clubs are large and often supported by the school, especially the robotics team.
The Science and Math Institute is a great place for students who enjoy the outdoors. I love being able to walk through the forest and to breathe in the fresh air on the way to my classes. It was easy for me to fit in, because the teachers and students are all very welcoming. They make you feel right at home. My overall experience with this school has been amazing and I encourage other students to apply.