Overall Niche Grade
- College PrepB+
- Clubs & ActivitiesC-
- Health & SafetyB-
- Resources & FacilitiesC
Science & Math Institute is a highly rated, public school located in Tacoma, WA. It has 537 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 20 to 1. According to state test scores, 52% of students are at least proficient in math and 77% in reading.
Science & Math Institute Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A156 Students
- B+113 Students
- B+107 Students
- A-94 Students
- B+72 Students
- B-54 Students
- B+54 Students
- B+45 Students
- A-44 Students
- B-39 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.23 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.23 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.22 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.22 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.22 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.28 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.28 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.28 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.28 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.28 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.28 responses
Science & Math Institute Reviews
SAMI is an amazing school with a lot of academic goals and opportunities as a student. I an soon to be a junior, and don't think there is any other school more unique in the area. There is a new system with signing up for classes where you can choose your "Pathway". And i am taking a Life Science pathway. Don't forget that you can always change your mind and take a new pathway later!
I very much like the Science and Math Institute, ranging from the faculty, the students, and the environment. I really like how the school in in Point Defiance Park, where it's surrounded by forest and near the water, and I also like how the zoo plays a role in the education of students and lends us the zoo for our education. However there are some things I would change about the school. The safety of the school isn't the best in my opinion, where from personal experience of being on lockdown in a zoo classroom we didn't know there was a lockdown because we could faintly hear the alarms. We continued with our class normally while the alarms went off. I would maybe add alarms to the zoo classrooms so they could also be notified in case of an emergency. Second, the amount of drug abusers at this school. Since the school is in a forest, they take advantage of that and hide in the forest to do what they do. Overall, it's a good experience and I would recommend this school to people.
It is fun being out door. Being a freshman was the school year I got the most exercise. I would like more communication with the Transit buses. When I took the Transit bus we were packed in like sardines. Students would have to wake up very early so they can get to school on time. Sometimes I was late because I took the Transit Bus. Being at Sami I needed to know what I can handle with my classes because there is 8 core classes and 2 other classes. Being at Sami helped me be more outgoing, it really helped me step out of my comfort zone. We did not have hot lunches we had bagged lunches (small) from the school, home lunches, or we would have to go pay for lunch at one the restaurant or the boat house by Sami I feel like I was in like college because of it (say bye to your money). Can go take classes at the Sota and Idea In Jan. and June there is only one class. Being a student at Sami is very easy to graduate early; by freshman and sophomore year most the classes needed are completed.