Schenectady High School is a public school located in Schenectady, NY. It has 2,582 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 16 to 1. According to state test scores, 86% of students are at least proficient in math and 88% in reading.
Schenectady High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B+83 Students
- C78 Students
- A45 Students
- A+44 Students
- C+40 Students
- A39 Students
- B-37 Students
- B36 Students
- A+35 Students
- A-35 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.8 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.8 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.12 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.12 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.12 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.20 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.20 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.20 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.22 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.22 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.22 responses
Schools like Schenectady High School
- C+Rensselaer Junior/Senior High School
- Rensselaer City School District, NY
- 30 reviews
- C+Watervliet Junior/Senior High School
- Watervliet City School District, NY
- 48 reviews
- C+Lansingburgh Senior High School
- Lansingburgh Central School District, NY
- 76 reviews
- C+Cohoes High School
- Cohoes City School District, NY
- 51 reviews
Schenectady High School Reviews
What I like about Schenectady High School is the colorful atmosphere. For example, the inviting school colors, posters, and paintings on the walls. It's very student friendly and makes me feel comfortable. The administrators, teachers, and students are people that I've never had a problem with. I have myself seen some fights here and there and that does kill the experience for me a little bit, but I know that it's not the schools fault. Going through my years here I would like to see changes regarding the heating and air conditioning system. For the four years that I've been attending this school, I have heard complaints from myself and students that proper heating and cooling go throughout the school rather than one wing. What I could never understand myself is that the school goes all out to upgrade the cafeteria, and paint walls but can't fix the heat and cooling. You'd be lucky if you had classes in the part of the school that has these systems installed.
I like how *most* of the teachers have a genuine care for their students and the desire to truly help and further the education & lives of their students. The cafeteria food = horrible. The disciplinary system is practically nonexistent and the punishments for disobeying the rules wholly do NOT fit the 'crimes' they're being punished for. There are some teachers that definitely don't belong in the job that aren't being punished for their horrid treatment of their students, but realistically, most of the teachers at SHS are good.
I love Schenectady high school because the diversity and sense of community at the school. There are so many different clubs and activities to be involved with, but no one is excluded from anything. I love the fact that I can have so many different friend groups and no one cares who you are friends with. But I think the teacher-student relationships need to be better as well as with the administration. The administration cares too much about kids just graduating, because our grad rate is very low, and not enough about what comes after high school. I was lucky enough to be apart of the IB program so there were adults around me who cared about what I wanted to do after high school. It is really unfair to the students not in enriched classes and are lost in the system.