Saratoga High School Reviews

Hostile and pressure-ridden environment. Students are overly competitive and cruel; there is a lot of under-the-covers bullying going on that parents and administrators don't see or know about.
Teachers are only good in the humanities/social sciences departments - the math and science ones are horrible and incredibly discouraging.
The school's high ranking is due to the students studying independently outside of class and parents who pressure them to succeed no matter the cost. School stresses high grades over actual knowledge and being well-rounded.
No amount of success can be worth that experience. If I could redo those four years at another school, I would.
Many would consider academics to be the forte of SHS. This is true, however I find the school lacking in terms of clubs and activities for students to really figure out what they want to do and what excites them.
It's a good school. theres a lot of activities that students could participate in, and it offers challenging academics. the school spirit is a little on the low side, since not many people participate in homecoming week, formal dances and watch sport games. theres slight racism, but generally people are very cautious about it. a lot of people are sensitive to sexism and racism. school culture is a bit on the competitive side.
Start Your Review of Saratoga High School
The school's curriculum is rigorous and challenging. There are a great variety of advanced classes in many areas. Students have the opportunity to engage in many clubs, ranging from Model United Nations to Math Club. One downside is that the students have a fairly competitive atmosphere.
Attending high school at Saratoga was extremely hard for me. The classes are tough, and the teachers aren't quite as helpful as I wish they could have been. The counselors are great though, and they help you with everything. Although Saratoga was nothing for me, who wanted more of an exciting high school experience with sports and friends rather than just study every day, but I can definitely say that it is something for an ambitious student who know what he/she wants. Bottom line, I didn't have a great time, and unless you really try hard to get good grades (which most people do, but have no social life) Saratoga is not your school.
I enjoyed my time at SHS, especially being part of the music department. However, sometimes I feel uncomfortable in the classroom; some teachers seem unapproachable, and the atmosphere is very competitive amongst peers.
I have been in Saratoga High School for the past 3 years and it has been a great experience so far. There is great support from teachers and they try to help the students in any way possible. We have tutorial everyday so that we can ask teachers if we have any questions or concerns. I also like how everyone in the school is so friendly and always there to help.
This school prioritizes academic excellences above all else. All around, this is a great school with a number resources and opportunities for students to choose from. After attending this school, a student should be more than prepared for their next step in their academic career: College.
My favorite thing about Saratoga High is the competitive atmosphere that pushes students to do well in life.
I am a freshman attending Saratoga High School, and I have to say, it's one of the friendliest schools out there, making everybody feel right at home. The music program is one of the best, taking the breath away from their audience. Their academics is also extremely advanced, making sure every student understands the lessons and provides great resources.
Saratoga is not a bad school by any means. I actually found that college felt easier than my four years at Saratoga; however, I defiantly would not say that I enjoyed my time there. The competitiveness created by the students and their parents made it very difficult to do well in school, while maintaining a healthy social life. Most of the teachers here are great, aside from a few, and care heavily about their students and their health. Overall, if I had to do high school over again, I would not go to Saratoga.
In terms of mental health and general happiness, this school is horrible. Of course high school is never Disneyland, but SHS does not address many of its issues.
SHS is extremely competitive. Often times, if you ask a fellow student for help on a classroom worksheet, they won't even answer.
With all due respect to the teachers, I feel the high student averages are more due to the fact that majority of the students have a lot of tutoring after class. I've been in a math class where lots of the students already know the concepts that the teacher is about to cover that day. Overall, the atmosphere in Saratoga is extremely stressful. My average homework load per day was about 5-6 hours. Good luck if you plan on doing a sport!
I know people who have been diagnosed with mental disorders such as clinical depression because the academic pressure was too much.
If my family could do it over again, we all agree that we would have chosen a different high school environment.
Just get ready to be surrounded by academic competition. Yep. I thought being an upper class men is way better than an underclassmen cuz u feel so much more unawkward. Plus there are a lot more privileged like driving and almost becoming an adult responsibilities. The teachers are okay, but trust me, school food is expensive and crap. Schedule sucks cuz it's like 90 min block classes with like a 35 min tutorial and a 35 min lunch.
This school gave me and some of my closest friends the worst high school experience possible. I would not recommend this school to anyone. The administration knew about many serious issues with specific students and did not make an attempt to help anyone involved. Overall, students were depressed from too much pressure and high expectations set by the school.
Saratoga High School is a nice school. It isn't the school for everyone but it is a more academic centered school which some may like more than others.
Saratoga High school is very academic oriented. It prepares students well for college in that the drive, study practices, levels of difficulty, classes, and faculty are well trained to give student skills that will support them in college, GIVEN, that said student attempts the advanced classes offered and pushes his/herself. That being said, the academic pressure in the school can sometimes be overwhelming. It honestly depends on if the person WANTS to be in an environment where goods grades were the expected thing. Some do, some don't.
I liked my experience at SHS! Overall, it's a great community with great academics and opportunities to get involved with the student body. It's kind of cliche but your experience is "you get out what you put in." It's easy to abstain from activities, but if you really want the best experience possible, I suggest joining clubs, sports, and going to the many many events SHS hosts. The teachers I've had are mostly great, with a few exceptions, but I feel like they all do want me to succeed (except for maybe one or two). I've always found the student body to be supportive and generally good people, but I know some who do not share my viewpoint on that. I super duper suggest you join MAP bc it's the best family to be a part of :)
Start Your Review of Saratoga High School
I moved to Saratoga in my sophomore year, and it was the best thing that ever happened to me. I was challenged to learn and achieve beyond what I thought I was capable of. I made life long friends that I still have contact with today. The teachers were of the highest caliber and committed to all students. Their choir program is one of the best in the nation and I would not trade attending SHS for anything. Thank you SHS, you molded me into the man and socially aware individual that I am today. Keep up the great work. A special shout out to Mr. Scribner, Mrs. Doctorow, Mrs. Sutton, Mr. Newport, and Mr. Davis. You made the difference.
I moved around a lot, but spent all 4 years at this school and had a positive experience. This school offered me several of opportunities to grow and set me on the right path to enter a 4 year college. They set me on a pace that would make a seamless transition into college and has made college a lot less scary because I felt prepared.
Overall pretty great experience at this school. Students can be very cliquey but majority of students are nice. Prepares students very well for the future but that all comes with a price. The competition and pressure at Saratoga is something that cannot ignored and often creates an unhealthy mental environment, but some would say that it is worth getting into top colleges. The english department teachers are great but all the other subjects could use better teachers. School spirit is sometimes lacking but overall great sports and clubs. Students at this school are very sheltered due to their environment but the way the school prepares the students is fantastic.