Saranac Lake Senior High School is an above average, public school located in Saranac Lake, NY. It has 395 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 12 to 1. According to state test scores, 95% of students are at least proficient in math and 95% in reading.
Saranac Lake Senior High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B25 Students
- B-20 Students
- A+18 Students
- B-16 Students
- A-15 Students
- B15 Students
- A14 Students
- A-13 Students
- A13 Students
- A-12 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- We don't have enough responses to know if students agree that they feel safe at their school.Take our survey
- We don't have enough responses to know if students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.Take our survey
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.5 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.5 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.5 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.8 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.8 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.8 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.8 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.8 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.8 responses
Saranac Lake Senior High School Reviews
The strongest things about SLHS are its teachers and music dept. Almost every teacher offers their time to help students, and are incredibly accommodating in special circumstances. Most of the teachers are on the young side (a good thing). In fact, all of the "bad" teachers I had at SLHS left their teaching positions or retired and were replaced by young teachers. There aren't many AP options, but I took as many APs/CCs as I could. The negative thing about this high school is how athletes are glorified. The athletic director picks sports over every other event (ex. there's a school concert but also a sporting event, you have to go to the event unless you want to sit out later for missing it-- if you miss the concert, your grade might rightfully drop in the class and you'll skip an event that was more important to you). If you look at SLHS's social media accounts, +-3/4 of the posts have something to do with a sporting event. This speaks of the school culture.
SLHS has some amazing teachers and the administration generally actually cares BUT the students and whole community is very judging and close-minded. Everyone has known each other since birth and shun new students. The administration and teachers can also be very ignorant about disability accommodations. Honestly I hated transferring into this school and it is not a fond memory.
Saranac Lake Senior High School was a great place to get a high school education. With a large diversity of challenging classes, organizations & clubs, and an AMAZING music department, there's nowhere else I would rather have gone.