Overall Niche Grade
- College PrepA-
- Clubs & ActivitiesB-
- Health & SafetyB+
- Resources & FacilitiesC+
Santa Ynez Valley Union High School is a highly rated, public school located in Santa Ynez, CA. It has 908 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 21 to 1. According to state test scores, 47% of students are at least proficient in math and 75% in reading.
Santa Ynez Valley Union High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A+102 Students
- A+87 Students
- A-84 Students
- A82 Students
- B80 Students
- A73 Students
- A+72 Students
- A58 Students
- A52 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.14 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.14 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 32 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.16 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.16 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.16 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.24 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.24 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.24 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.26 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.26 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.26 responses
Santa Ynez Valley Union High School Reviews
This school keeps the fights to a minimum and tardies quite a big deal. No, its no private school but here you'' find people of all types. Its a nice size where you could know everyone in your graduating class by the second year. Unfortunately, some of the teachers need to be fired because objectively they are not up to par. However there are many teachers that are very easy grading. The atmosphere is pretty good if I do say so myself. Nothing out of ordinary but there is little racial discrimination which is more common in large schools. The spread of classes has a nice variety of style and difficulty. I realized this when I compared it to another school my younger siblings will attend. Around the area are a lot of jobs for students to work. Overall I would give this an 8/10, if a 10/10 is a top private school. Not all the teachers are very intelligent, but enough are. Lastly, the school doesn't support any radical political ideas either way.
At SYVUHS everyone eventually sees one another and has an opportunity to make a new friend. It has high academic standards that are met through the education given by very intelligent teachers. Being a small valley community, the Santa Ynez Valley becomes a huge football supporting town that enjoys the Friday night lights. In this safe environment, many students are allowed to express who they are without judgment. Also, their amazing clubs allow you to experience the world outside of the SYV walls and expand students education on what the world has to offer. Overall, SYVUHS is a home that one grows to love and eventually sad about having to leave senior year. So, don't let the four years at SYVHUS pass by and experience a pirates life.
My overall experience over the past years was great. The counselors really prepares me for college and the class size is small. The school is also small which I like because you get to know most of the students. Everyone is involved in some kind of sport or club that the school provides. Everyone is united through our school spirit. Especially during football season when we have the games and pep rally’s. I believe that this high school is the safest school in Santa Barbara county.