Overall Niche Grade
- Academicsgrade A
- Diversitygrade A+
- Teachersgrade A+
- College Prepgrade A+
- Clubs & Activitiesgrade B+
- Health & Safetygrade A
- Administrationgrade A
- Sportsgrade A minus
- Foodgrade B+
- Resources & Facilitiesgrade B
Santa Monica High School is a top rated, public school located in Santa Monica, CA. It has 2,857 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 21 to 1. According to state test scores, 51% of students are at least proficient in math and 78% in reading.
Santa Monica High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- grade A+779 Students
- grade A+651 Students
- grade A+577 Students
- grade A+510 Students
- grade A448 Students
- grade B+406 Students
- grade A382 Students
- grade A317 Students
- grade A308 Students
- grade A minus306 Students
Living in the Area
Overall Niche Grade
- Cost of Livinggrade D+
- Good for Familiesgrade A+
- Housinggrade C+
Median Household Income
Median Home Value
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school. 90 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there. 90 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 291 responses
- Pep- rallies.25%
- Performance/Music Events12%
- Basketball games.11%
- Football games10%
- The dance showcase9%
- The day the Yearbook comes out.9%
- Cafe Samo.8%
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive. 99 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy. 99 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic. 99 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons. 131 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students. 131 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom. 131 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
$21,573 / year
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in. 130 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need. 130 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations. 130 responses
Schools like Santa Monica High School
- grade A+Redondo Union High School
- Redondo Beach Unified School District, CA
- Rating 4.1 out of 5 652 reviews
- grade A+South High School
- Torrance Unified School District, CA
- Rating 3.77 out of 5 431 reviews
- grade A+El Segundo High School
- El Segundo Unified School District, CA
- Rating 3.97 out of 5 535 reviews
- grade ABurbank High School
- Burbank Unified School District, CA
- Rating 3.8 out of 5 515 reviews
Santa Monica High School Reviews
Rating 3.82 out of 5 765 reviews
Selecting a category below will take you to another page
Very diverse school and great programs that are offered . I’ve had some of the best teachers and staff in the Santa Monica Unified school district. I have been in this school distract since kindergarten and have always loved it, although I have had some rough moments with students due to that fact that I am a Hispanic female that looks white. The AVID program at John Adams middle school and Santa Monica high school are the best! They help first generation students by leading them in the right path to go to a great university. the AVID program had personally impacted my life by creating a community with students that are all first generation students, we have gone in field trips to colleges and have learned about so many that are not very known. The Santa Monica unified school district is by far one of the best, it has very good resources on and off campus, great teachers and programs such as AVID, band, and art. Santa Monica High school is in a nice part of the city.
Some teachers are great! I would give them an A+ but there are a few I wouldn't give anything close to an A. There are definitely some teachers who put in much more effort than others. It is highly noticeable as well. The food at my school I would rate a C-. The food they serve just keeps students full, not healthy. They should upgrade their lunch menu and snacks as well. One thing at Santa Monica High School that is very high quality is their security. Officers everywhere making sure students are safe and not getting into crazy trouble. The campus is old but they are renovating so it should look great in a few years!
Santa Monica High School provided me with opportunities I orignally did not have access to back home in the South. The school provides detailed curriculum, with teachers who are well educated and passionate about their classes. The teachers make time whenever possible to provide one on one assistance with students and dedicate their time and effort to providing the most clear and productive learning experience. During quarantine, I found that teachers and staff remained dedicated to making sure the student body, especially the senior class finished the school year with the best understanding of the curriculum they could provide given the circumstances. Teachers and staff were easily accessible during the quarantine, and remained loyal to tradition during graduation. If I were to live in Santa Monica and start a life there, I would definitely send my child to Santa Monica High School.