San Marino High School is an elite, public school located in San Marino, CA. It has 1,189 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 21 to 1. According to state test scores, 86% of students are at least proficient in math and 89% in reading.
San Marino High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A+231 Students
- A+230 Students
- A+165 Students
- A151 Students
- A+138 Students
- A+111 Students
- A108 Students
- A89 Students
- A+84 Students
- A76 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.21 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.21 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.27 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.27 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.27 responses
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.41 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.41 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.41 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.42 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.42 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.42 responses
Schools like San Marino High School
- A+Arcadia High School
- Arcadia Unified School District, CA
- 937 reviews
- A+Walnut High School
- Walnut Valley Unified School District, CA
- 509 reviews
- A+South Pasadena Senior High School
- South Pasadena Unified School District, CA
- 362 reviews
- A+Whitney High School
- ABC Unified School District, CA
- 312 reviews
San Marino High School Reviews
I've been at SMHS for the past four years, and overall, I've had a good experience here. Most of the teachers are great - helpful, very knowledgeable, and readily available. However, there are definitely a few that are on the opposite end of the spectrum, but, luckily, I haven't encountered many of those! The environment is rather competitive and somewhat stressful, especially if you're in all or mostly AP and honors courses, but if you ever find it too overwhelming, counselors are easily met, and I've heard there are other resources you can turn to as well!
As a senior who underwent 4 years through San Marino High School, this school has plenty of positives and negatives within it. On the plus side, there are plenty of opportunities for students. There are tesources everywhere and helps prepare students for college extremely well. However, because the environment is so high achieving and competitive, the general ambiance can be extremely stressful and can lead to the emotional degradation of a lot of students.
My experience at San Marino High School was extremely educational, not just in an academic sense. I learned how to overcome opposition and I discovered passions that I did not possess going into my freshman year. The students are very focused on grades and the academic rigor is high, but it is well worth it if you wish to be better prepared for more competitive settings later on in life. The school itself is very modern and well built, with a wide variety of activities and sports to participate in.