Salem High School is an above average, public school located in Salem, MA. It has 926 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 9 to 1. According to state test scores, 64% of students are at least proficient in math and 77% in reading.
Salem High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- C+189 Students
- A149 Students
- A+94 Students
- B+77 Students
- A+74 Students
- B72 Students
- A-67 Students
- A+58 Students
- B-52 Students
- B38 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.27 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.27 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 74 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.33 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.33 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.33 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.39 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.39 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.39 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.42 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.42 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.42 responses
Salem High School Reviews
My experience with Salem High for the four years that I attended was great. I made lots of different relationships with teachers and classmates. Being in an environment where the community was very diverse made the energy in each classroom positive. Our spirit weeks we would all come together as a class and take pride being from Salem. However, I do believe that Salem High does need a change after graduating from school it has been changed and they need to come together like before.
I had so many so many opportunities to be involved with excellent programs in academics and music. It has a very wide range of opportunities no matter what your interests or abilities are. It is very inclusive in all regards. In extra-curricular areas, if you are not the best at something but would like to try it, you can probably still be part of it. It does not produce the #1 ranking to be inclusive but it does produce well rounded students who actually enjoy what they are doing!
I would say the "Salem High School experience" is just average, if not below. And with the new administration changes, I would recommend not coming here if you can help it. For my freshman to junior year, we had Mr. Angeramo as our principal and he was active within our community, but senior year we had a new one, and 7 months into the school year, she quit. Salem high is going through too many transitions at once and there is no stability. For activities, you can either be an athlete or heavily involved within the music and arts department... there isn't much in between. The factor that makes this school bearable is the faculty and staff that actually care for the students and our education.