Salem Community High School
- SALEM, IL
grade B minus
Overall Niche Grade
- Academicsgrade B minus
- Diversitygrade B minus
- Teachersgrade B+
- College Prepgrade C+
- Clubs & Activitiesgrade B
- Health & Safetygrade B+
- Administrationgrade C minus
- Sportsgrade B+
- Foodgrade A
- Resources & Facilitiesgrade B minus
Salem Community High School is a public school located in SALEM, IL. It has 647 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 16 to 1. According to state test scores, 27% of students are at least proficient in math and 32% in reading.
Salem Community High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Percent Proficient - Reading
Percent Proficient - Math
Average Graduation Rate
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- grade C+85 Students
- grade B46 Students
- grade B44 Students
- grade A+44 Students
- grade B41 Students
- grade B+34 Students
- grade B minus30 Students
- grade B18 Students
- grade A+18 Students
- grade B+18 Students
Map is loading
View Homes Near Salem Community High School
Note: School map boundaries may have changed for the current school year so please contact your school district to verify school assignment for your child.
Living in the Area
Overall Niche Grade
- Cost of Livinggrade unavailable
- Good for Familiesgrade unavailable
- Housinggrade unavailable
Median Household Income
Median Home Value
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school. 5 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there. 5 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 7 responses
- Shrine Game29%
- Cross Country14%
grade B minus
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive. 6 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy. 6 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic. 6 responses
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons. 8 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students. 8 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom. 8 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
No data available
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in. 13 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need. 13 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations. 13 responses
Schools like Salem Community High School
- grade C+Centralia High School
- Public School
- CENTRALIA, IL
- Rating 3.6 out of 5 121 reviews
- grade B minusSouth Central High School
- South Central Community Unit School District No. 401, IL
- Rating 3.67 out of 5 33 reviews
- grade CSandoval Senior High School
- Sandoval Community Unit School District No. 501, IL
- Rating 4.18 out of 5 11 reviews
Salem Community High School Reviews
Rating 2.88 out of 5 75 reviews
Selecting a category below will take you to another page
SCHS is a wonderful student oriented school that cares for its kids and their teachers are dedicated. I have many teacher tell me personally that they care for their student as if they were their own children. Any student in this school is loved by all the teachers and staff, whether it be our superintendent, cooking staff, janitorial staff, or just the teachers. It goes both ways, the students love all of the teachers and staff, especially our wonderful head cook as well as our many loving janitors such as bubble gum Tom, who would always throw candy to the kids in the halls as the exited the building every Friday afternoon. Teachers are always willing to help their students better understand the subject that they are learning and many have agreed to come early or stay after school to help a student study. Even if a student has never had a certain teacher personally, that teacher is always willing to help them. I would never want to attend a high school other than SCHS.
Overall, Salem Community High School is a safe place for teenage kids to learn and grow. They have some really good classes, like parenting, child development, and health occupations and CNA classes.
As a senior at Salem Community High School, I have had many opportunities to succeed, both academically and athletically. There vocational programs have sparked a true interest for me which I plan to pursue in college.