Roycemore School Reviews

I am proud to be a Roycemore School alumna. I graduated in 2004 and attended the high school. What I valued the most was the small classroom size, the dedicated faculty, and the small knit community. I never felt like a number but felt like someone's interests and strengths were fostered. I felt more than prepared to go off to college because I had the greatest foundation from Roycemore. Much of what I learned in and out of the classroom I applied in my time in college and now as an adult. Roycemore isn't just a school, it's a family where everyone has a place. Students not only just fit, but they flourish here because the faculty and staff care on such an individualistic manner.
I have been a Roycemore parent since 2003; all my children are either alums or currently enrolled.
Academics are consistently top-notch. They offer differentiation every step of the way, challenging each child at their level. Writing is emphasized throughout the school in a variety of ways, from extemporaneous in-class writing to detailed research reports to personal essays to creative stories. The science curriculum is strong, with lab work at every level.
Extracurricular offerings are slim compared to bigger schools, but students learn how to mentor each other so that the team can be the best possible.
The arts curriculum here is superb. Ruth Hecht is an excellent artist and an excellent teacher.
It is a small school with challenging academics and high expectations. It helps set a foundation for the remainder of the child's life, not only with academic and intellectual skills, but also with emotional maturity, interpersonal relations, and social and civic engagement.
I brought my child here to the middle school from a highly rated CPS selective enrollment school and it was the best decision I ever made. The academics are far superior to those at CPS and they have differentiation and individualized instruction in all classes to make sure each child's experience is tailored to the learning style that works best for that child. The teachers go above and beyond to ensure that my child understands the material and is confident in her work. They really know their students and they are able to teach to their strengths and weaknesses. We want our child to stay at the school through 12th grade. The upper school is even more amazing than the middle school.
Start Your Review of Roycemore School
The best kept secret in Evanston and beyond. If you're like my husband and me, you are researching, thinking, and researching again the best school for your child. We checked out all types of schools in the north shore and the northern half of Chicago, but Roycemore stood out. No other school had the balance that Roycemore has—a commitment to strong academics, diversity, a warm and friendly environment, and character education, which is not only encouraged, but is a natural part of the school's ethos. It has surpassed our expectations, and our daughter loves school. We highly recommend Roycemore.
We have been at Roycemore for 2 years now and are very happy with the school. The kids love it and at times say they wish they could be referred to as "Lifers" students who started at the school since Jk and then graduate as seniors. The teachers really care about the students especially the administration. They know everyone's names and you feel at home when you are there. However as with any school you are never going to find everything that is perfect, you have your bumps in the road like anywhere else, but those bumps are far and few between. If you want a school that will always support your child(ren) and your family this is the place to be. We cannot say enough good things about Roycemore and everyone that is involved with the school.
Roycemore is a truly special place. We moved our son from one of the top middle schools in Chicago and have found that the academic level and the sheer intelligence of the curriculum is much higher. More importantly each teacher is just remarkable as a thought leader and a human being. They really mean it when they speak of tailoring the learning experience for each individual student. They know my son well and he feels truly valued for who he is. The student body and the teachers are diverse in every possible way and my son just loves middle school— something I would have thought impossible!
Small parking lot where parents with big fancy cars bully the average folks with average cars. The school is not all that they make it out to be.

Tried to leave the same review on Google, but was unable to. Hhhhmmm, don't know if it's possible to block certain types of reviews on Google??
I attended Roycemore for high school (9th-12th grade).

Roycemore is a great choice for students who desire a close community, individualized attention, or who want to be a leader. Class sizes are small (often <10 in AP classes) and allow for plenty of teacher-student interaction. The close-knit community also offers a lot of opportunities to be a leader: for instance, I was captain of sports teams and helped organize a yearly carnival that the high schoolers organize for the lower and middle schoolers.

Perhaps my favorite part was taking classes at Northwestern University.
Not only did this enable me to skip introductory classes in college, but gave real-life preparation for college.

Finally, I gained a lot from the diverse student body. I had friends of every race and family background while at Roycemore, and this really broadened my perspective on life in the years to come.
I had an amazing experience at Roycemore. I was a student from K-12 and truly benefited from the individualized attention and customization of my educational program. I was able to participate in many activities that at a larger school I might not have been able to. And I was able to accelerate my learning and education through taking classes at Northwestern University. Most importantly, the school had a wonderful community feel that made it feel like a home with great support and encouragement.
I attended Roycemore from 1956-1966, then went to Stanford, followed by the University of Chicago medical school. I finished my plastic surgery residency at Northwestern. It was rare for women to become surgeons at that time. Roycemore gave me the intellectual tools and personal resilience to succeed by providing individual attention and outstanding teachers. It remains a remarkable school
We have loved every aspect of Roycemore School. Our daughter is four years old and has been in the JK program since September. We have watched her excel both academically and social/emotionally. The individual attention from teachers and the wonderful facilities were perfect for keeping her busy and interested throughout the day. From day one at Roycemore, she has had a completely positive experience. She enjoys the activities including gym, French and music class. There is a great balance of learning and free play to make the day go by quickly. We also take advantage of the extended day program where they do fun projects and interact with additional students from the lower school. Ms. Floyd always has them doing interesting projects like writing letters to Veterans. We are so thankful for the all the faculty/staff at Roycemore and her wonderful, JK teacher, Ms. Massey.
We love being part of the Roycemore community. The individual attention our son received has made all of the difference in his life. He struggled until we found Roycemore and then he blossomed. He started loving school, loving his teachers, loving his classmates. This positive experience and self confidence booster made all the difference in his college success and it is evident in his success at law school. The atmosphere at Roycemore has such a positive affect we are so thankful that this school exists.
We withdrew from a top private school in Chicago following a very bad experience, only to find the true top category of schools in Roycemore. Within three weeks, our son who was very resistant to the idea of change, expressed how happy and relieved he was. The school environment is relaxing and supportive. Roycemore is a demonstration of how children can excel with guidance but not with pressure. This may sound simple but the truth is that it's a status schools can't achieve without teachers and leadership who share the same vision. One day, the school had a pajama party. I dropped off the kids, parked, and went in to see if they were experiencing what I had expected. I didn't see the fun that comes with the awkwardness of being in pajama in school. I saw that my son was simply comfortable. While he found a second home in Roycemore, I had a brief serendipitous moment of knowing we couldn't have asked for more.
Moving to Roycemore was one of the best decisions I've made for my child. She is finally feeling very comfortable in school. Teachers and classmates made her feel very welcome and she doesn't need to worry about "fitting in" anymore. Her focus shifted to academics and sports. Teachers keep her very challenged and engaged. I can not be happier as a parent to see my child thrive.
Roycemore is the perfect school for my daughter. Each student is taught at their individual level while also being challenged. Each lesson allows her to be creative and express herself without feeling rushed or stressed. I have seen her anxiety over school disappear overnight because she feels understood and supported. She has made friends and connections that will last a lifetime. I love that Roycemore is diverse and offers scholarships so people, like me, can afford to send their child to this school. There are clubs and activities everyday after school, most are free and some have a nominal cost. These include STEAM, yoga, Mudlarks, chess club, cross country, fitness fun, and math club. There is literally something for everyone to join. My goal is for my daughter to continue her academic journey at Roycemore through 12th grade graduation. Ms. Finley Odell, Head of School, and Amanda Avery, Admissions Director, make everyone feel welcome and valued. A+ librarian/tech, too ♥️
Roycemore has been such a beautiful experience. From challenging academics to inclusion on every level, students are nurtured and guided with compassion. Leadership is emphasized beginning in lower school where students begin preparing for college and professional careers. Their commitment to diversity is real. Core values are demonstrated from the Head of School to administrators, teachers, parents and students. Roycemore fosters a strong sense of community. Students are encouraged to develop independently and as part of a team. Social and emotional development is emphasized along with academics. At Roycemore, my child is more than a student. She’s learning to be a leader, an active, contributing member of our society and our world.
We transferred to Roycemore after oldest child struggled with severe anxiety at another top 10 school. Moving to Roycemore has turned into one of the best decisions we have made. It has given our child back to us; it has restored his self-esteem and self-confidence. And both of our kids are challenged academically, and growing in a place where they can authentically be themselves.

We prioritized the social/emotional environment, the curriculum and the administration. Schools live and die by their heads, and Ms. Finley Odell is a strong leader who has fostered a collaborative working environment. Roycemore has been around for more than a century, and while it continues to carry forth its traditions and values, it is the Roycemore of NOW, and it is headed in an exciting direction. Finally, Roycemore embraces diversity. Fifty percent of students receive financial aid, and wealth and privilege are not on display. A grassroots mentality of "let's work together to do this" prevails.
Start Your Review of Roycemore School
We live in the city and have three kids.
We are big supporters of public education and sent all of our kids to CPS.
But our younger daughter struggled with the large class size and lack of individual attention at CPS
We looked into many alternatives to CPS
After a looking at the options we
transferred her to Roycemore this year.
The difference has been remarkable
She is flourishing in the nurturing environment offered by Roycemore
She’s thrilled to be there and as such so our we.
The faculty and leadership has been both proactive and responsive
Roycemore really isn’t for everyone. If you need a more personalized learning experience where you really can’t fall through the cracks, it can be really amazing. But if you’re looking for a big, stereotypical “high school” place with lots of social opportunities and events, and you don’t feel like you need a lot of individualized attention, it might not be for you. Shadow before you go to see if it’s the environment you want!! My advice to the school- stop trying to make learning seem photogenic for the purpose of admissions and recruitments!! It’s not an issue until you get into higher level classes, but once you’re in highschool, it can be very difficult to incorporate the super progressive curriculum that Roycemore is aiming for.
Roycemore is an absolute gem. The small environment, close-knit community, rigorous curriculum, and the individualized approach for each student set it apart from its peers. It is a place where students truly connect with their teachers and peers, and these connections allow for a deeper level of learning. Students are accepted for who they are, and differences are celebrated and explored. The school attracts a student population that is diverse in many ways, which enriches students' overall educational experience. The teachers at Roycemore challenge students to push their own limits and seek out new experiences, and they fully support students on this journey. Roycemore is a warm, inclusive, and exciting place; I cannot imagine a better school for our family.