Ridgewood High School is a top rated, public school located in Ridgewood, NJ. It has 1,716 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 13 to 1. According to state test scores, 68% of students are at least proficient in math and 75% in reading.
Ridgewood High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A174 Students
- A+169 Students
- A+131 Students
- A+124 Students
- A+116 Students
- A-113 Students
- A+112 Students
- A+98 Students
- A+97 Students
- A95 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.23 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.23 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 46 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.26 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.26 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.26 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.37 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.37 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.37 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.35 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.35 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.35 responses
Schools like Ridgewood High School
- A+Irvington High School
- Irvington Union Free School District, NY
- 58 reviews
- A+Tenafly High School
- Tenafly Public School District, NJ
- 105 reviews
- A+Scarsdale Senior High School
- Scarsdale Union Free School District, NY
- 101 reviews
- A+Livingston Senior High School
- Livingston Board of Education School District, NJ
- 327 reviews
Ridgewood High School Reviews
I loved my four years at RHS! The only downside is that the STEM department SUCKS. You'll get one good math or science teacher and then get horrible teachers for your next three years and be stuck with mediocre grades. Teachers always say to come to period 9 (extra help) but it really doesn't do much in terms of improving your grade. Also I could see how it may be hard for a new student to find their way in the beginning, (since most kids have known each other since kindergarten) but getting involved in sports and clubs can definitely make it easier to find friends. I'm very sad to be leaving in a few weeks!
Ridgewood High School was very good in college preparation. With rigorous academia and tons of clubs and activities, it gives you a glimpse of what college may be like; you must learn to balance friends, school, extra-curricular activities, family, and self. Personally, I always felt like the school and the school culture lacked diversity and acceptance of differences. That being said, it is difficult for those who are outside of what is considered the social-norm to find their niche at school. However, with the many students and friendly teachers, I am aware that many adjust and get through the four years learning lots of lessons both in and outside of the classrooms.
This is a competitive school, especially in the higher level classes, and people do obsess over grades more than the average high school student. However, if you find the right group of people to associate with, you will really enjoy it here. Of course, there are a lot of students from richer spheres, and some of them are really unpleasant, but there are genuinely kind and thoughtful people here. I'd say about 90% of teachers are excellent and really know what they're talking about, but there are always a few that are... Less than ideal. There are over 100 clubs that you can join, so there's a place for everyone.