Putnam Valley High School is an above average, public school located in Putnam Valley, NY. It has 606 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 14 to 1. According to state test scores, 95% of students are at least proficient in math and 95% in reading.
Putnam Valley High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A-38 Students
- A-32 Students
- B32 Students
- A+31 Students
- B28 Students
- B+28 Students
- B-24 Students
- B23 Students
- A23 Students
- A-21 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.8 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.8 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 16 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.11 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.11 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.11 responses
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.17 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.17 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.17 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.21 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.21 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.21 responses
Schools like Putnam Valley High School
- A-Westlake High School
- Mount Pleasant Central School District, NY
- 110 reviews
- ACarmel High School
- Carmel Central School District, NY
- 247 reviews
- ABrewster High School
- Brewster Central School District, NY
- 156 reviews
- A-Washingtonville Senior High School
- Washingtonville Central School District, NY
- 404 reviews
Putnam Valley High School Reviews
It is a small school. There are changes in the making with the schedule. We have one of the earliest start times in the country and they are looking to change this. Currently, we have a block schedule system. The academic system is pretty good, but wouldn't say it is one of the best. There is a deficiency in the english department, however, the guidance counselors are very good at helping you through the application process. We have probably the best color wars in the country.
Putnam Valley High school provides students with numerous opportunities to learn and explore skills outside of traditional course work. Students have the opportunity to join the STEM and authentic science research classes, or enroll in one of the many art courses that are available available. The performing arts center is equipped with one of the most complex rigging systems in the area, outperforming even that of the Westchester Performing Arts Center. In addition to the schools dedication to the art and sciences, the school sports a competitive athletics program. Students will find every opportunity to explore their interests at Putnam Valley High School.
Putnam Valley is an average place to grow up. Putnam Valley High School is the school that you see in movies; the one where everybody knows everybody and there are quirky school traditions. I love going to school at Putnam Valley. The theatre and music programs are amazing. The teachers are all unique and inspiring in their own way. I like the modern look of our school, seeing how it was built in 2001. The only thing I would want to change about Putnam Valley is the school start time. Studies have proven that teenagers are not at their full potential academically or intellectually so early in the morning. The fact that classes start at 7:10 each day greatly impact students performance in class and on exams. Other that this, Putnam Valley is a wonderful high school to attend.