Proviso Math & Science Academy is a highly rated, public school located in Forest Park, IL. It has 742 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 17 to 1. According to state test scores, 67% of students are at least proficient in math and 82% in reading.
Proviso Math & Science Academy Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B+216 Students
- A+186 Students
- A-145 Students
- B131 Students
- A-120 Students
- B+114 Students
- B-112 Students
- A+104 Students
- B89 Students
- A+80 Students
Note: School map boundaries may have changed for the current school year so please contact your school district to verify school assignment for your child.
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.37 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.37 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.43 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.43 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.43 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.50 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.50 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.50 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.53 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.53 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.53 responses
Schools like Proviso Math & Science Academy
- A-Elmwood Park High School
- Elmwood Park Community Unit School District No. 401, IL
- 136 reviews
- A-DeVry University Advantage Academy High School
- Chicago Public Schools, IL
- 199 reviews
- ALisle High School
- Lisle Community Unit School District No. 202, IL
- 95 reviews
- A+Lake Park High School
- Public School
- Roselle, IL
- 602 reviews
Proviso Math & Science Academy Reviews
proviso math and science academy opened up opportunities for me that I know I would've gotten if i had gone to a private school, even with some of the particularities about this school. PMSA provided me with a unique high school experience that for the most part was enjoyable. The academics at this school are challenging at times and can be stressful for any student but most teachers are willing to give you the extra time to help you become a more successful student. However I do believe PMSA should be more open to exploring fine arts programs as most of the focus is on academic aspects of high school life and to make the school stand out academically amongst other high schools. Moreover there's a big focus on preparing for standardized testing that takes away from exploring other subjects beyond that curriculum in a classroom setting, which can be annoying.
While I love all my former classmates who have done amazing things since graduating from PMSA, there were a lot of things that I didn't like and overall I felt unprepared for college. To start, when I first started at PMSA, there were no AP classes, and when there were some offered (starting my junior year), they were all in classes that would not help me in my future academic career. Another thing that was unique, but not ideal, was that if you wanted to play sports, you had to play at your "home school" because they don't have athletics at PMSA. So because I lived closest to Proviso West, that is where I played sports. It was a great experience, but definitely not normal and negatively affected school pride. I will mention though that Spirit Week was always really fun, even though we didn't have sports. The students that go here are amazing, I just hope it's run better than when I was there.
PMSA (Proviso Mathematics and Science Academy in short) is known for being the catalyst of success, which it lives up to be. The first two years, we are taught the essentials or the basics, just like in college. Then during our junior year, our faculty and teachers absolutely make sure that we have our heads in the game and focus because this year is what leads to our future, just as in college, we figure out what the rest of our life is going to consist of. But academics isn’t the only thing PMSA offers. It offers diversity, passion, protection, stability, but most importantly, its offers you a great future. Being in the top 10 schools in Cook County and being in the gold rankings of the nation ensures that it prepares all students for nothing but the best. It shows promise towards our future. By doing and offering all of this, the Proviso Mathematics and Science Academy ensures that it truly is the catalyst to success.