Poughkeepsie High School is a public school located in Poughkeepsie, NY. It has 1,150 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 12 to 1. According to state test scores, 81% of students are at least proficient in math and 89% in reading.
Poughkeepsie High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- C+97 Students
- A-80 Students
- A+59 Students
- B+49 Students
- B+44 Students
- A-39 Students
- B38 Students
- A33 Students
- A-32 Students
- A26 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.10 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.10 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.16 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.16 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.16 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.19 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.19 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.19 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.20 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.20 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.20 responses
Schools like Poughkeepsie High School
- BFranklin D. Roosevelt Senior High School
- Hyde Park Central School District, NY
- 196 reviews
- BHighland High School
- Highland Central School District, NY
- 57 reviews
- B+Kingston High School
- Kingston City School District, NY
- 215 reviews
- A-Roy C. Ketcham Senior High School
- Wappingers Central School District, NY
- 232 reviews
Poughkeepsie High School Reviews
What I like about my school is that many teachers are their for any students. They are willing to boost your grade up by any means, willing to help you understand a concept you did not understand in class that day. The teachers want to see every student succeed and not get into trouble. This is school is very well involved in the community and provides many programs, clubs, and organizations to help students succeed and prepare them for college. But what this school need for a change is variety is different programs that could benefit students. Also focus more on other programs such as Band, Art, and even computer studies. This school focuses a lot in sports which is good, do not get me wrong but they should also focus more on students who want to be able to succeed. That is my school survey.
The teachers are great, they are always trying to do what's best for their students. They always have your back and support you as much as they can. Unfortunately, there is not much security at the high school, students find it very easy to skip classes because security is not reinforced properly. The school suffers from a lack of cleanest and lack of supplies for the classroom. There was a point when they couldn't afford to buy paper to print anything. The principal is very rude and unprofessional, the food is not good at all and some of the higher authorities are the rudest people.
After being at Poughkeepsie High School for 3 years now, I can wholeheartedly say that the school is not great. The administrators can be of little to know help and security could be better. However, Poughkeepsie High School is just like any other school in that you will have great teachers and you will have REALLY BAD teachers but you just have to make the most of it. While my experiences at the high school have not really been negative, I think Poughkeepsie High School and the district entirely still has a long way to go before we'll be able to offer a "world class education."