Poteau High School is an above average, public school located in Poteau, OK. It has 649 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 17 to 1. According to state test scores, 27% of students are at least proficient in math and 47% in reading.
Poteau High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A138 Students
- A117 Students
- C+105 Students
- B-90 Students
- C+82 Students
- A-81 Students
- B70 Students
- C58 Students
- B-39 Students
- B+34 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.11 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.11 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.12 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.12 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.12 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.15 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.15 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.15 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.17 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.17 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.17 responses
Poteau High School Reviews
For the most part, Poteau High School is a pretty good school. Most of the teachers are kind and helpful and there are plenty of activities to get involved with. One thing is for certain though: I absolutely adore our school spirit. Although there are so many different kids who attend Poteau whose opinions differ on many things, when it is game day, everyone is excited. There is something electric surging down the hallways on Fridays that makes everyone jittery. However, on the academic side of things, we as students would have benefited more from history and science teachers who didn't double as coaches. Teaching is not what those coaches are passionate about, so they have not done a good job teaching us these topics. I get that in Oklahoma, there isn't always enough money for new teachers, but it would have been nice to be taught by someone who actually enjoyed talking about history and science.
As a 2018 graduate I would to say Poteau High School was a good experience for me and I’m grateful for being able to attend there. There were lots of extracurriculars I loved being apart of, it was a joy to get to know and be mentored by many of the teachers there and I felt very prepared in my first year of college. That being said, the facilities could be updated as they are very out of date. A lot of the programs needed more funding and the funding we had was not always distributed equally. Also, some of the faculty needs closer observation from administration to insure students were in the best learning environments.
I love how strict our school is on school safety such as assigned parking spots. That way crashes are nonexistent. Cell phones are prohibited during class hours which helps the us focus more on the lesson and not on social media. Last school year our cafeteria food was unbearable and not very fulfilling, this school year we have better portions, more fruit variety, and better quality of food. The teachers her are very hands on and help with whatever problem a student has. As a senior with tons of questions I don’t have to look too far for help. After writing an essay for college or scholarship applications I can go to one of many English teacher to assist me in ways I can make it better.