Poteau High School is a public school located in Poteau, OK. It has 639 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 17 to 1. According to state test scores, 72% of students are at least proficient in math and 72% in reading.
Poteau High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A96 Students
- A84 Students
- B-79 Students
- B71 Students
- B-60 Students
- A49 Students
- B38 Students
- C+34 Students
- B22 Students
- B21 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.9 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.9 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.10 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.10 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.10 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.13 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.13 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.13 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.15 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.15 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.15 responses
Poteau High School Reviews
My experience at Poteau High School has been a very interesting ride. My schedule was changed twice in 30 minutes! The teachers are very nice and my instructors are focused on helping us learn. Some teachers are wary of me, but they still try their best to help me learn. We also have off-campus lunch which is fantastic!
Poteau High School is definitely one of the better schools in that area, but still has room to grow. Over the years I have spent here, I've noticed things slowly being changed for the better. There are plenty of sports activities to choose from, and the fine arts courses are starting to really shine. Recently, we have received more laptops to use in school, and we now offer a few online classes. Most of the teachers do a good job at helping the students grow, and most students seem ready to learn. I've only noticed a few problems among my peers, but those problems are usually handled.
The classes and teachers I have had (all except one) have not prepared me for college and the curriculum is a mess. The buildings and spaces we work in are old and outdated, and we don't have any modern technology just worn textbooks. The football and wrestling center along with the new turf field is where the raised money goes. Very little is done for the fine arts, whereas the sports programs are well taken care of.