Portsmouth West High School Reviews

The price for lunch is too much, and students with reduced lunch pay for breakfast too. Too focused on sports and performing arts like band or choir, and lack for visual arts.
Other than that the school itself is starting to wear down, there isn't much to complain about. Could use some updating on the interior.
The music and arts program is out of this world great! Music Theatre and Chorus is considered by many the best in the county.
Start Your Review of Portsmouth West High School
It is an above average public school. We have a spectacular band and clubs. I would consider us the best choice for a parent to send their child for schooling in the county.
It is great. The teachers are friendly, knowledgeable, and want to help. Portsmouth West High School is clean and presentable all the time, because of of the facility’s staff. Our sports teams are also amazing. Everyone has a great attitude and are driven hard in winning and good sportsmanship like conduct.
While West Portsmouth is a smaller school, it is certainly welcoming. It is a school for a tight knit community that will welcome anyone to the family so long as you approach us with a good attitude. What really shines about our district is our music programs, which are some of the best in Ohio, in my opinion. Making do with little funding we are well known throughout southern Ohio for our Marching Band and Travelling Choir. We've even performed with the Irish band "We Banjo Three" on multiple occasions. All in all my school is a must for anyone who wants to have a musical experience in high school, or be welcomed by a large community of friendly faces.
What I liked about Portsmouth West was the amazing support from my teachers and administrators. They taught me so many things along the way. Such as, getting prepared for college, leadership, team effort, and so much more. Another thing that really helped me dive deep into my high school was our choir. Our music teacher Mrs. Tieman has really helped me along my journey. She and the other teachers have really made my life so much easier when coming to school.
This school is the typical high school. There is a lot of focus on those students who excel athletically and those who are involved in the more important clubs. With the amount of involvement opportunities sometimes being slim, the lack of focus on certain students seems to fall short.
My overall experience is pretty good.
However would like to see more support over other sports not just football. Would like to see the administration actually hire coaching staff for the actual sport. As in soccer.
I feel that kids interests are not just based on football.
More opportunities for kids to explore the post secondary education to better prepare kids for college life.
I moved to West my junior year. The music department is absolutely incredible and the guidance office is very easy to work with. As someone with an IEP, I found that they were more willing to help with accommodations and planning as well as less condescending than my other school had been.
Great Surroundings, and people, a couple teachers need some work, but overall great place. Sports are a big part of the school, as well as clubs.
Portsmouth West Hish School was a wonderful school district. Due to their abundance of Advanced Placement courses, College Prep courses, and extremely caring teachers, I felt truly prepared for college; when I graduated. One thing about Portsmouth West is it's not only a school, but also a community. Students bond through many different sports; parents are encouraged to get involved with sports and academics; and with wonderful clubs - such as Key Club, Beta, and Thespian Troupe #5739 - our school volunteers, and gives back to our community.
We have regular Lock Down drills to ensure student safety throughout the school year. I feel very safe at school and feel the faculty and students generally care about the safety of each other.
My favorite Extracurricular activity is our school's Key Club! A National organization ran through the Kawani's Club. I am my school's secretary. We do a lot in our community with the other schools in our area.
My favorite things about my school are mostly because we are such a small school and community, only having 400 kids in our entire school, we are very close! Everyone gets along, there doesn't feel like there is an age difference between grades because we are all friends. I think that's what makes us so great with our sports and our academics, because we are driven through each other we feed off of that and strive to make ourselves and each other the best we can be.
All of the teachers are very friendly and engage with student activity and are highly knowledgeable. The classroom settings are somewhat taugh through the teacher but with my AP classes it is mostly student driven with all of us working together to accomplish our goals.
We are academically acceptable but it would be better if we were in the top 10%.
Start Your Review of Portsmouth West High School
There are a lot of activities but we could always use more so that everyone can find something that fits them.
It seems that sometimes the administration has a set policy and does not take into account that each circumstance may require a different policy.
We have some of the best coaches around.