Portsmouth West High School is a public school located in West Portsmouth, OH. It has 374 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 17 to 1. According to state test scores, 32% of students are at least proficient in math and 47% in reading.
Portsmouth West High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- C69 Students
- A-59 Students
- A+38 Students
- B30 Students
- A-20 Students
- B-19 Students
- A-13 Students
- B10 Students
- B10 Students
- B+9 Students
Living in the Area
- Crime & SafetyNG
- Cost of LivingA
- Good for FamiliesB-
Median Household Income
Median Home Value
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.5 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.5 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 11 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.5 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.5 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.5 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.5 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.5 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.5 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.6 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.6 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.6 responses
Schools like Portsmouth West High School
- CNorthwest High School
- Northwest Local School District (McDermott), OH
- 28 reviews
- C+Minford High School
- Minford Local School District, OH
- 48 reviews
- BValley High School
- Valley Local School District, OH
- 30 reviews
- C+Portsmouth Junior/Senior High School
- Portsmouth City School District, OH
- 42 reviews
Portsmouth West High School Reviews
Portsmouth West Hish School was a wonderful school district. Due to their abundance of Advanced Placement courses, College Prep courses, and extremely caring teachers, I felt truly prepared for college; when I graduated. One thing about Portsmouth West is it's not only a school, but also a community. Students bond through many different sports; parents are encouraged to get involved with sports and academics; and with wonderful clubs - such as Key Club, Beta, and Thespian Troupe #5739 - our school volunteers, and gives back to our community.
My favorite things about my school are mostly because we are such a small school and community, only having 400 kids in our entire school, we are very close! Everyone gets along, there doesn't feel like there is an age difference between grades because we are all friends. I think that's what makes us so great with our sports and our academics, because we are driven through each other we feed off of that and strive to make ourselves and each other the best we can be.
This school is the typical high school. There is a lot of focus on those students who excel athletically and those who are involved in the more important clubs. With the amount of involvement opportunities sometimes being slim, the lack of focus on certain students seems to fall short.