Overall Niche Grade
- College PrepB+
- Clubs & ActivitiesB+
- Health & SafetyB-
- Resources & FacilitiesB-
Portsmouth High School is a highly rated, public school located in Portsmouth, RI. It has 919 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 13 to 1. According to state test scores, 52% of students are at least proficient in math and 77% in reading.
Portsmouth High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B285 Students
- B-86 Students
- A+78 Students
- A+76 Students
- B-74 Students
- A71 Students
- A+61 Students
- B+60 Students
- A-54 Students
- A51 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.20 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.20 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.24 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.24 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.24 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.34 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.34 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.34 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.38 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.38 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.38 responses
Schools like Portsmouth High School
- A+East Greenwich High School
- East Greenwich Public Schools, RI
- 153 reviews
- A-Dartmouth High School
- Dartmouth Public Schools, MA
- 182 reviews
- A-South Kingstown High School
- South Kingstown School District, RI
- 163 reviews
- ANorth Kingstown Senior High School
- North Kingstown School District, RI
- 360 reviews
Portsmouth High School Reviews
Portsmouth High School is located in a small town in a small state. Most of the student body knows one another as a lot of us have been going to school together since kindergarten. That being said, it can be extremely cliquey. Being located so close to a navy base, we have our fair share of "new kids", however, their experiences can vary greatly. Some say it's the best school and group of friends they've had in all their many moves while others find it extremely hard to break into the close-knit groups. We are definitely a sports-oriented school, having been given the nickname of "Sportsmouth", but there is definitely a lot of great opportunities in the art and music fields as well. We have both a marching band and chorus, with further opportunities in jazz band and vocal ensemble for those who are more dedicated to the craft. A rich curriculum is offered and students have the chance to take both honor and AP level classes.
My favorite thing about Portsmouth High School were the teachers. The teachers at this school inspired me and tirelessly worked to teach us to the best of their ability. My Algebra II and Pre-Ap Calculus teacher poured everything she had into helping students who did not understand the material. Coming in early in the morning before school, staying after school for hours to help tutor a confused student, she always made sure students had the best resources available to them. My Economics teacher always kept the tone of the class light, holding our attention and keeping us engaged with his insightful stories and quotes from books. The teachers at Portsmouth High School go above and beyond to make the school a positive and accepting environment.
This school actually provides a very nice education, but the administration for the district never seemed to actually care about students. Every decision was based on what would save them money or make them look good to outsiders. This was not due to a lack of resources, but due to administration wanting to appear more talented. I would give PHS 5 stars if their admin tried to make decisions for the students' and teachers' wellbeing, instead of for their own pockets and for their image. The teachers are generally pretty great though. I have been supported very well by all my teachers and I feel very very prepared for entering college.