Portsmouth High School is a highly rated, public school located in Portsmouth, RI. It has 902 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 12 to 1. According to state test scores, 44% of students are at least proficient in math and 39% in reading.
Portsmouth High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B214 Students
- B-68 Students
- A+61 Students
- A+59 Students
- A55 Students
- B-52 Students
- A+49 Students
- A-43 Students
- A+41 Students
- A-39 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.18 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.18 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 77 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.22 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.22 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.22 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.32 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.32 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.32 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.36 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.36 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.36 responses
Schools like Portsmouth High School
- A+East Greenwich High School
- East Greenwich Public Schools, RI
- 141 reviews
- B+Dartmouth High School
- Dartmouth Public Schools, MA
- 161 reviews
- B+South Kingstown High School
- South Kingstown School District, RI
- 145 reviews
- ANorth Kingstown Senior High School
- North Kingstown School District, RI
- 338 reviews
Portsmouth High School Reviews
I am in my third year at Portsmouth High School and I am very grateful to attend such a wonderful public high school. As far as honors and AP classes go the teachers are absolutely wonderful. They make lessons engaging and for the most part care so so much about their students. They are always after school if you need extra help or just want to talk. The clubs are also wonderful and there are an abundance of opportunities as well. I believe the special ed department is very good as well. When it comes to diversity the school is really lacking, considering students are from a relatively white and middle to upper middle class town. It is like a typical high school in terms of the social scene but the majority of students are very friendly and inclusive.
My experience at Portsmouth High School had its ups and downs. I never faced bullying during my time, but I did face a lot of stress. Our academic programs are rigorous, and the teachers are subpar when catering to the specific learning needs of children - making it difficult to absorb plentiful information in an honors course. School spirit has definitely gone down over the years, so I would love to see that come back. The student council isn't one to boost spirit but rather boost their resume. We have a ton of activities throughout the year that garnishes student participation, so I do always enjoy those. However the student population is very white, there isn't much diversity amongst them.
Portsmouth High School offers rigorous academics for all students. The school is large, has wonderful teachers and great athletics. St this high school, the teachers are always willing to help students make sure they are able to complete their work.