Portsmouth High School is a highly rated, public school located in Portsmouth, NH. It has 1,108 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 13 to 1. According to state test scores, 47% of students are at least proficient in math and 77% in reading.
Portsmouth High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A-182 Students
- A+67 Students
- A+64 Students
- A-56 Students
- B-37 Students
- A+33 Students
- A+30 Students
- A+29 Students
- B28 Students
- A28 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.13 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.13 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 52 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.14 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.14 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.14 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.22 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.22 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.22 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.24 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.24 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.24 responses
Schools like Portsmouth High School
- A-Winnacunnet High School
- Public School
- Hampton, NH
- 138 reviews
- A-Exeter High School
- Exeter Region Cooperative School District, NH
- 290 reviews
- B+Marshwood High School
- Regional School Unit No. 35 (MSAD 35), ME
- 108 reviews
- A-Amesbury High School
- Amesbury Public Schools, MA
- 71 reviews
Portsmouth High School Reviews
Portsmouth High School is filled with high academic achieving students, hard working jocks, and lots of school spirit. Every teacher at PHS is there to cheer you on and support your academic and athletic career. While I do think the guidance department could do a better job guiding their senior students onto their college path, overall the members of the guidance department are friendly and ready to help who ever is in need. The sports teams are excellent at PHS, our goal is a state championship and nothing will stop us from working our hardest to succeed. Overall I have had an unforgettable high school experience at PHS and am sad to be graduating this spring.
Great atmosphere with tons of friendly students and staff!! I came in as a new student and instantly felt welcomed and a part of the family. As a freshman I joined a variety of clubs and activities so I made friends very quickly. For anyone nervous about entering Portsmouth High School, don't be! For a public school it is fantastic and most of the teachers have a real passion for helping students. Although I'm sure you could getter a better education at some private school, not many schools can match Portsmouth camaraderie.
Portsmouth High School is a school that brings approximately four towns together. I have met so many people throughout my four years with the help of new classes, and new experiences like high school athletics. The teachers and staff always give you the option of extra help if needed and help so much through the entire college application process. I have had to take required classes, but doing so taught me what I liked and disliked in subjects and certain areas. But I have also had the privilege of taking electives that interest me like art and computer classes outside of the requirements. My experience at Portsmouth high school was my only high school option but I wouldn't have it any other way.