Portola High School is a highly rated, public school located in Irvine, CA. It has 863 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 23 to 1.
Portola High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A+106 Students
- A103 Students
- A+81 Students
- A77 Students
- A+74 Students
- A45 Students
- A+40 Students
- A+33 Students
- A-32 Students
- A+29 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.5 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.5 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.5 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.5 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.5 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.5 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.5 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.5 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.5 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.5 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.5 responses
Portola High School Reviews
Portola High School is a new school with excellent new facilities and a beautiful campus. While the facilities are above average, the school is still creating a foundation for school culture. Administration has come up with some strange ideas in attempts to create school traditions. The majority of teachers are also quite young and haven't been teaching for very long. Some school rules that are enforced restrict student's freedom to express themselves the same way as other high school students do. However, there are many great teachers who have definitely made my stay at Portola amazing. Go bulldogs!
The state of the art facilities and technology of Portola is engaging for the students. The inspiring teachers and compassionate teachers make it a fun-loving environment for the students to learn in. Most importantly, I love the voice students have because of the way the school is designed to make students feel empowered, allowing us to exercise our fundamental American rights. However, being a new school it still has a lot of room for growth. I think its necessary for the administration as well as the students to step up and implement a spirited school culture where students . Although I can say it has gotten far better from freshmen year, I still loare actively taking pride in their own school. look forward to seeing spirited traditions being passed on year after year!
Being a new school, Portola High school boasts very clean facilities and up-to-date technology (including Chromebooks that are handed out to students for free - unless broken). The school is a diverse hub and is a particularly academic and artistic campus. The staff and ASB are trying to promote school spirit on and off-campus, but they are unable to engage a lot of students. Our school's administration is okay. We have great teachers for the most part, but some members of the counseling team are uninterested in their students and only do the bare minimum of what their job requires. Our clubs and activities are still new, so there is a lot of trial-and-error happening on campus which is good and bad for students. Overall, Portola High School is not a bad school, especially for a new, "guinea pig" kind of school.