Portland High School is an above average, public school located in Portland, TN. It has 1,092 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 15 to 1. According to state test scores, 74% of students are at least proficient in math and 61% in reading.
Portland High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B-133 Students
- C+111 Students
- A-96 Students
- B89 Students
- B87 Students
- B-67 Students
- B48 Students
- B47 Students
- A+43 Students
- B+27 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.11 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.11 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 29 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.11 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.11 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.11 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.17 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.17 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.17 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.16 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.16 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.16 responses
Portland High School Reviews
I love Portland High School because of the deep sense of community that can be felt day in and day out. Throughout my time at PHS, I have seen tragedy and heartache, but I’ve also seen a lot of wins for our student body. Through all of the ups and the downs, we have become a family; there for each other no matter what. Furthermore, PHS offers countless opportunities for school involvement. There is something for everybody, which is exciting because it gets students excited for their high school experience!
To begin with, my experience at Portland High School has been phenomenal! I am currently a Senior which means I only have a few more months until I transition to college. Furthermore, my favorite experience about this high school would have to be the staff located here. In addition, the atmosphere here helps to brighten my experience here! In contrast, the only change I would like to see would be the student body. I say the student body because majority of the student body disrespects the staff here. So if I had to change one thing about this school, I would want to change the student body's views on the staff here
My high school experience has definitely prepared me for college and later on in life. The teachers that I got to have were tremendous, cared deeply, and taught well in the classroom. School spirit runs deep throughout the entire school, and it shows within both students and teachers. However, my school lacks diversity, and some of the clubs available are not as active as they should be. The majority of sports teams at Portland High have had little success in the years I have been there, and a personal experience in football made me quit after playing for ten years. All schools have positives and negatives, and I believe that Portland has a lot more positive than negative. We are a tight-knit school strong in school pride, and the teachers and experiences that I have had here will be remembered for a long time.