Portland High School is a public school located in Portland, MI. It has 655 students in grades 8-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 20 to 1. According to state test scores, 42% of students are at least proficient in math and 57% in reading.
Portland High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A67 Students
- B54 Students
- B+54 Students
- B+44 Students
- B-40 Students
- A+37 Students
- B27 Students
- B-17 Students
- B-14 Students
- B12 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.5 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.5 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.8 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.8 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.8 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.14 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.14 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.14 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.10 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.10 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.10 responses
Schools like Portland High School
- BLakewood High School
- Lakewood Public Schools, MI
- 64 reviews
- A-Grand Ledge High School
- Grand Ledge Public Schools, MI
- 366 reviews
- B+Pewamo-Westphalia Junior/Senior High School
- Pewamo-Westphalia Community Schools, MI
- 18 reviews
- NGFreedom Acres School
- Ionia Intermediate School District, MI
- PK, K-12
Portland High School Reviews
Portland is a small town with a lot of history and older values; this is often reflected in the school. We are a close-knit school with an emphasis on school spirit and hard work. Most of the teachers are very enthusiastic when it comes to their job and many are downright inspiring. The band is like my home away from home. My school has a lot going for it, but it's not all good. I think the biggest thing I would change about my school is how the teachers are often treated. Most are overworked and under-appreciated-especially the para-pros. I would also like to see our school recycle more and put more emphasis on no-bullying policies.
Portland High School had a multitude of teachers that loved what they were doing. The teachers who inspired me to be like them always pushed me forward, giving me all the trust and faith I needed to succeed. However, some of the more older teachers who had gained their tenure did not care about the work they were doing, and would take at least one day off every week because they could. Clubs at Portland were nonexistent, and the main focus and budget went to sports programs, such as football. Academics were rarely celebrated by the administration at Portland, since our main profits came from sporting events. Never did we have a "Raider of the Week" who's profile did not include at least one sport. However, the sense of community and belonging during events like football games was profound and enlightening, making that my favorite part of being at Portland.
Portland High School is a great school for its size. There is a strong focus on athletics. The school lacks in preparing students for college and supporting the fine arts. The school environment is safe and the staff takes great care of students. Overall, Portland High School is a great choice for those who want a smaller environment and a strong focus on athletics.