Portland High School is an above average, public school located in Portland, CT. It has 376 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 12 to 1. According to state test scores, 52% of students are at least proficient in math and 77% in reading.
Portland High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A66 Students
- B-36 Students
- A+29 Students
- B-29 Students
- B-26 Students
- A-24 Students
- B23 Students
- A22 Students
- B21 Students
- B-16 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- We don't have enough responses to know if students agree that they feel safe at their school.Take our survey
- We don't have enough responses to know if students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.Take our survey
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- We don't have enough responses to know if students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.Take our survey
- We don't have enough responses to know if students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.Take our survey
- We don't have enough responses to know if students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.Take our survey
More opinions are needed!
Write a review to add yours.Review Portland High School
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.9 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.9 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.9 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.9 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.9 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.9 responses
Schools like Portland High School
- B+Bacon Academy
- Colchester School District, CT
- 190 reviews
- A-Rocky Hill High School
- Rocky Hill School District, CT
- 127 reviews
- B+Berlin High School
- Berlin School District, CT
- 179 reviews
- B+Mark T. Sheehan High School
- Wallingford School District, CT
- 204 reviews
Portland High School Reviews
Portland is a small town, and with only 300-400 students at the school, and around 50-60 faculty/staff, everyone is cole to each other. The students can connect with the teachers well, because every teacher recognizes you and gets involved with your academic and social life (in a good way). It's easy to communicate with teachers in a small school because everything is close-knit. The teachers are very comical and friendly, and they do their best to include you in activities and discussions! They believe in you and support you, and push you so you can be your best. They truly want to see you exceed and do great things!
It was an okay high school. It was not the best nor the worst. There were some very good teachers that sparked my interest in subjects I never would have imagined that I would have enjoyed. However, I also had to suffer through language teachers who did not teach and made learning a foreign language near impossible.
Although Portland is a small suburban town that is mostly caucasian, there is plenty of diversity in the high school. There are foreign exchange students and students that come from other towns, such as Hartford, to get a better education. Everyone gets along well and respects each other's beliefs and foundations. Anything mean is kept to themselves. We are all friendly with each other and strive to have a good time!