Portales High School is an above average, public school located in Portales, NM. It has 770 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 17 to 1. According to state test scores, 11% of students are at least proficient in math and 34% in reading.
Portales High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B-201 Students
- B101 Students
- B+80 Students
- C64 Students
- A-52 Students
- A20 Students
- B19 Students
- A-17 Students
- A-16 Students
- B-15 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.20 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.20 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.23 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.23 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.23 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.29 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.29 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.29 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.28 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.28 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.28 responses
Portales High School Reviews
Portales High School is a wonderful school to attend. The high school staff provides academic knowledge to prepare students for the real world. In the years that I have attended Portales High School, I have met many friendly and supportive people including the teachers, students, and administration. My favorite thing about Portales High School is the wide variety of extracurricular activities such as sports and clubs. I also love how open-armed the staff is to help students apply for colleges, scholarships, and even help students choose a career choice that suits their needs. I would not change a single thing about the school.
The portales high school is a pretty good school and it's cool the teachers are there to help you out with your work, it has a good schedule with education it's pretty good and friendly students and it also helps you out with some financial aid and you can study college classes to gain credits and those classes are free but very hard but they're still free and well for food it's not good but the school is pretty good.
The counselor's and teachers do everything they can to push you while trying to help you succeed. If any student needs extra help almost any teacher will stay during lunch or come early or stay after school to make sure the student gets what they need. The counselors make sure that students are taking college classes if they are ready and are very personable. The sports teams are successful and the students work hard at what they do. The coaches make sure to push the student athletes to make sure they're prepared for the season while teaching them life lessons and equipping them for the field/court and life outside of sports.