Overall Niche Grade
- College PrepA-
- Clubs & ActivitiesB+
- Health & SafetyB+
- Resources & FacilitiesB
Portage Northern High School is a highly rated, public school located in Portage, MI. It has 1,290 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 22 to 1. According to state test scores, 52% of students are at least proficient in math and 77% in reading.
Portage Northern High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B+319 Students
- A282 Students
- A+226 Students
- B+164 Students
- B-148 Students
- A-89 Students
- B70 Students
- A54 Students
- B-52 Students
- A-35 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.21 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.21 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.24 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.24 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.24 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.30 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.30 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.30 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.35 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.35 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.35 responses
Schools like Portage Northern High School
- APortage Central High School
- Portage Public Schools, MI
- 237 reviews
- B+Plainwell High School
- Plainwell Community Schools, MI
- 204 reviews
- A-Mattawan High School
- Mattawan Consolidated School, MI
- 307 reviews
- A-Gull Lake High School
- Gull Lake Community Schools, MI
- 155 reviews
Portage Northern High School Reviews
I am proud to be a Portage Northern Huskie. There are numerous clubs available for people of diverse interests, beliefs, and backgrounds; overall, it is an inclusive environment. Northern is also one of the few schools in Michigan that teach IB Latin as a course. Our school newspaper, the Northern Wipe, is both entertaining and refreshing with its interview, jokes, positive encouragement, and up-to-date news. I feel thoroughly challenged by IB courses, and have maintained a close relationship with my counselor about my future for the past four years. Our media center also provides lots of privileged online resources such as JSTOR for in-depth research. Unfortunately, I have heard average comments about the cafeteria food, and given the circumstances, Northern has a procedure for school-shootings that I wish were not necessary. However, the teachers are role models in life for most of us. Lastly, the grandeur of our school spirit at rallies and sports games would be difficult to beat!
Portage Northern High School shaped who I am today with their talented teachers, to the friendships I made while there. Not only do you get top of the line education in all of Michigan, you also get so many opportunities to participate in extra curricular activities, including their top ranked teams, award winning forensics team, and a number of clubs. One thing that I would like to see changed is how they handle sending kids to PCEC (Portage Community Education Center). PCEC is a great opportunity for kids that are running low on credits to graduate. However, it is mostly known for being the school for troubled teens that can be disruptive, failing, or violent. While I do agree with good cause that those types of students should be sent there, I however do not agree with sending kids such as pregnant young women there. The administration of the Portage schools do not need to be alarmed with having a pregnant teen walking through their schools when they are on track to graduate.
Life at Portage Northern is pretty average. They offer a curriculum that colleges see as challenging, even though it really isn't. The kids at Portage Northern are mostly weird with a few exceptions. Oh ya and join investing club!