Portage Northern High School is an elite, public school located in Portage, MI. It has 1,374 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 23 to 1. According to state test scores, 54% of students are at least proficient in math and 78% in reading.
Portage Northern High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B+236 Students
- A+175 Students
- A+141 Students
- B+105 Students
- B-105 Students
- B+51 Students
- A-50 Students
- B35 Students
- A33 Students
- B-23 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.18 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.18 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.21 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.21 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.21 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.27 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.27 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.27 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.32 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.32 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.32 responses
Schools like Portage Northern High School
- APortage Central High School
- Portage Public Schools, MI
- 197 reviews
- A-Plainwell High School
- Plainwell Community Schools, MI
- 187 reviews
- A-Mattawan High School
- Mattawan Consolidated School, MI
- 264 reviews
- A-Gull Lake High School
- Gull Lake Community Schools, MI
- 148 reviews
Portage Northern High School Reviews
The school is a very average in certain areas such as administration, diversity, clubs, safety, and administration. But what does add attraction to the school is the fact that the school is IB certified meaning that students have the potential to earn the very prominent International Baccalaureate degree. While the sports teams do appears to have been going through some recent hard times. But the football team will be kicking off a brand new football stadium which is the buzz of the community with other new facilities such as an aquatic center and a baseball field. The resources that the school has is exceptional due to the fact that the school library has many educational and reliable research tools that take advantage of the internet.
I loved my high school. I was supposed to attend Portage Central High School based off of address zoning, but requested to transfer before my freshman year. I played varsity soccer all four years and absolutely loved the coaching staff and my teammates. I was a member of the school's Student Senate and got to take a trip to DC with other seniors in Student Senate and it was one of the best trips I've ever taken. Unlike many other schools, we were able to leave campus for lunch as Juniors and Seniors to go to nearby restaurants with friends. Portage Northern offers the IB Diploma rather than AP, which were a great challenge to prepare students for college courses. Although I have moved out of my hometown, I would love for my future kids to go back to Portage Northern if I ever return someday.
I like the availability and friendliness of the teaches. I never had a difficult time trying to find some extra help whenever I needed it. The facilities there are amazing. I cannot wait for them to get even better after new sport facilities are finished along with the new middle school. It is exciting to see new technology being utilized, just a little disappointing that freshman are getting the new stuff before seniors. I always feel safe and welcome here by all students and the teachers are constantly pushing their students to give their best work and to always have grit.