Portage Northern High School is a highly rated, public school located in Portage, MI. It has 1,374 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 22 to 1. According to state test scores, 54% of students are at least proficient in math and 78% in reading.
Portage Northern High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B+237 Students
- A182 Students
- A+143 Students
- B+112 Students
- B-108 Students
- B55 Students
- A-52 Students
- B38 Students
- A36 Students
- B-23 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.18 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.18 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.21 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.21 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.21 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.27 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.27 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.27 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.32 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.32 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.32 responses
Schools like Portage Northern High School
- APortage Central High School
- Portage Public Schools, MI
- 198 reviews
- B+Plainwell High School
- Plainwell Community Schools, MI
- 190 reviews
- A-Mattawan High School
- Mattawan Consolidated School, MI
- 265 reviews
- A-Gull Lake High School
- Gull Lake Community Schools, MI
- 148 reviews
Portage Northern High School Reviews
Portage Northern High School is an extremely good high school. The majority of the teachers show over-the-top enthusiasm, making sure that their students are focused on the discussion. The building itself is fairly large, but it is very easy to get used to navigation there. Each floor is somewhat organized by class type. On the athletic side, Portage Northern High School provides great opportunities. They have great programs with incredible athletes that are ready to crush it in college athletics. If possible, what I would change about this school, as well as others, would be the start and end times of school. Classes start at 7:40 and end at 2:57. These times are extremely awkward, compared to how they used to be.
The school is a very average in certain areas such as administration, diversity, clubs, safety, and administration. But what does add attraction to the school is the fact that the school is IB certified meaning that students have the potential to earn the very prominent International Baccalaureate degree. While the sports teams do appears to have been going through some recent hard times. But the football team will be kicking off a brand new football stadium which is the buzz of the community with other new facilities such as an aquatic center and a baseball field. The resources that the school has is exceptional due to the fact that the school library has many educational and reliable research tools that take advantage of the internet.
My experience as a student in Portage Northern has been such a fun and exciting experience because the school provides discipline in their academics, but also lets students really enjoy their time as teenagers in high school. From dances, football games, and other school activities, I've really made myself participate in so many different clubs and opportunities that the school offers.