Overall Niche Grade
- College PrepB
- Clubs & ActivitiesA-
- Health & SafetyB+
- Resources & FacilitiesB
Portage High School is an above average, public school located in Portage, WI. It has 765 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 15 to 1. According to state test scores, 42% of students are at least proficient in math and 42% in reading.
Portage High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A+88 Students
- A-59 Students
- B52 Students
- B41 Students
- B39 Students
- B-34 Students
- B34 Students
- A32 Students
- C+29 Students
- B23 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.8 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.8 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.6 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.6 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.6 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.11 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.11 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.11 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.11 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.11 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.11 responses
Schools like Portage High School
- B-Pardeeville High School
- Pardeeville Area School District, WI
- 33 reviews
- B-Rio Middle/High School
- Rio Community School District, WI
- 30 reviews
- B+Baraboo High School
- Baraboo School District, WI
- 105 reviews
- BPoynette High School
- Poynette School District, WI
- 48 reviews
Portage High School Reviews
Portage High School is a good high school considering the size of the town it is in. The only thing I think needs improvement is the clock/ bell system. For two and a half years, the digital clocks throughout the building and sometimes the bell system that goes with it have not worked. This is frustrating as a student. The gym was recently redone with the walls being painted and the floor being replaced, but there are still no working clocks in the classroom! That’s ridiculous.
Portage High School is a relatively small high school that allows students a more personal experience with their teachers and peers. The administration of Portage High School has always focused on getting to know each student as an individual, that being said, the administration has always worked very hard to provide each student with personalized tools and support so that they are ready and able to have a good high school experience and be well-equipped for whatever they chose to do after. Portage High School also offers several extra-curricular activities such as sports with knowledgable coaching that not only cares to enhance each player's performance and athletic ability, but also their character. As far as clubs go, Portage offers a wide variety of clubs that lends to different skills and interests. These clubs are constantly making improvements and new clubs are added almost every year, as students are able and encouraged to create new ones.
Portage High School seems excellent compared to any other high school I have heard about. The teachers listen and care about their students. A majority of the teachers learn to teach the students inefficient ways that will keep them awake and listening. The school is also very open to helping others. For example, When some bad incidents happen the teachers make sure to let the students know they can come and talk anytime. The school is also very clean. The food is also great and I eat it every day, It's amazing how they also have other options if you aren't intrested in the main lunch that day.