Portage High School is an above average, public school located in Portage, WI. It has 803 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 16 to 1. According to state test scores, 39% of students are at least proficient in math and 39% in reading.
Portage High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A+78 Students
- A-50 Students
- B+45 Students
- B35 Students
- B33 Students
- B32 Students
- B30 Students
- A+26 Students
- C+23 Students
- B+21 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.8 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.8 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.6 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.6 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.6 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.11 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.11 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.11 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.11 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.11 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.11 responses
Schools like Portage High School
- BPardeeville High School
- Pardeeville Area School District, WI
- 32 reviews
- B-Rio Middle/High School
- Rio Community School District, WI
- 29 reviews
- B+Baraboo High School
- Baraboo School District, WI
- 102 reviews
- B-Poynette High School
- Poynette School District, WI
- 46 reviews
Portage High School Reviews
Portage High School is a good high school considering the size of the town it is in. The only thing I think needs improvement is the clock/ bell system. For two and a half years, the digital clocks throughout the building and sometimes the bell system that goes with it have not worked. This is frustrating as a student. The gym was recently redone with the walls being painted and the floor being replaced, but there are still no working clocks in the classroom! That’s ridiculous.
As a current student at Portage High School, the school district has prepared me for my future. However, there could be more higher level classes offered for the advanced students. In addition, teachers often focus too much of the high level and lower level students that the middle level students get left behind. While Portage High School offers many resources to their students through the library and chrome books, the facilities could still be improved upon by adding extra gyms, classrooms, and a pool. There is little diversity to the school in a racial aspect. There are different economic classes, but the majority is very close to the same level. I have received a quality education at Portage High School, but there is a lot of room for improvement.
The school has great teachers and prepares you well for further education. The teachers push you to be the best most well rounded individual you can be. The science and engineering classes are extensive and the teachers in this discipline will help you get into clubs like Skills USA to compete with others around the state. There are many other clubs you can join to help you decide what you want to do in later life. The facilities are better than average for a smaller town. The sports programs aren't great but they do try hard.