Portage High School is an above average, public school located in Portage, IN. It has 2,543 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 21 to 1. According to state test scores, 27% of students are at least proficient in math and 60% in reading.
Portage High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A268 Students
- A+236 Students
- B+189 Students
- B+177 Students
- B-152 Students
- C+121 Students
- B-118 Students
- B116 Students
- B78 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.18 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.18 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.21 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.21 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.21 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.38 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.38 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.38 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.43 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.43 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.43 responses
Portage High School Reviews
While I attended Portage High School, I learned so much about people and their walks of life. I was heavily involved in the theate program at Portage High School, and I met many kids from different backgrounds, religions, sexual orientations, and races. I wouldn't take that experience back for the world. Being in theatre gave me such an indescribable perspective on the human race, and the art of performing, and the love that theatrical performance can instill in your heart.For anyone considering to send their children to Portage High School, I would highly reccomend it. Regardless of what program your child is involved in at this particular school, they will be rewarded, validated, and their grades will not slip due to the encouragement from the administration!
Last year, my junior year, was my first year ever at Portage High School. I instantly became welcomed by the Portage Girls Soccer team, they became my second family. Whenever school started I was very nervous and shy. Academically I was ready but socially I was not. The teachers at Portage High School go beyond what’s expected of them to become a role model rather than only a teacher. Overall Portage High School is one for the books!
Portage high school is a A rated school that has been trying to stay a A school and help their students. Since the shootings have been going on, my school has been making sure we get inside the school safely and making sure we get to class safely. Then also make sure you get out the school safely. The some teachers are the best teachers we can have because they do not lounge around, but they are chilled and help students be successful while helping them get ready for college. Portage does not really prepare us students for college and this is coming from me as a senior, but some classes students can take or vocationals students take can actually prepare them for college. However, Portage High School is still growing and trying to become better than they have each passing year.