Portage Central High School Reviews

Portage Central High School is a great school for college readiness and offers lots of classes depending on whether you want a challenge or need it easier. What I don't like, is that they preach the IB diploma to students, when it is not always as useful as they say it is.
It's very nice that it has an open campus and still is able to keep unwanted people out and the school safe. The teachers want to help you succeed you just need to make sure talk to them.
The diversity in this school is obviously below acceptable. Especially in advanced classes I notice students are one of TWO races. Also, when a teacher does not like a certain student, they make it known. In my experience I have failed many essays and speeches just due to the fact that the teacher did not like me because I had other teachers grade it to experiment and they gave me amazing grades. Also, there are sports that are not recognized as much as baseball and football and such that really deserve it. I never felt safe in the school, due to both staff and students. The principal is amazing and some of the teachers are over the top with how much they care about the kids that they are teaching, however there are few that are like that. The only good thing I got out of high school is that I do not ever want to go back.
Start Your Review of Portage Central High School
Portage Central offers excellent academics and a variety of sports and clubs. Many of the teachers are excellent and go above and beyond to help their students achieve in class. The facilities are only about five years old and are very nice. They are also putting in new sports facilities as well which is an added bonus. However, even though Portage Central does offer all of these great things I have had a few problems there. The school is very large and it's easy to get lost in the crowd sometimes. They offer the IB diploma which is great for some students who want to attend Ivy League Schools, but it is not very beneficial for everyone else. Because they offer all IB classes, they don't offer many Ap classes which is frustrating for a student like me who wants to earn college credit in high school. However, despite some of the negative experiences I have had, overall it's a pretty good school.
Overall, Portage Central High School is an excellent high school and I have been very lucky to spend my past four years here. Every teacher/ staff member I have met has always been very supportive of me. They genuinely want you to succeed.Here they are very good at making students feel welcomed by offering so many clubs and activities that anyone can be involved in. Of course high school has it's up and downs, but in my experience the downs have never been caused by a staff member of Portage Central High School. With all the school shootings, our administration has done nothing but reassure us that we are safe. Whether that be reminding us of our in school officer, keeping us updated on events in the area, and preparing us with many practice drills. As a first generation student, I am not sure what to personally expect in college, but since freshman year the teachers and councilors of Portage Central have worked with me and answered any questions I have had about the next step.
Portage Central High is a great place for all types of people. Whether it be athletics, academics, or clubs there are a plethora of opportunities to challenge oneself and strive to be the best they can be.
The staff seems a little distant from the students and although there is a lot of opportunities for students to get involved, the way in which certain activities are organized make it complicated for students to get involved. There seems to be little communication between the different sectors as there are certain activities that WILL exclude students from other opportunities. Teachers are really accessible and generally friendly as well as understanding of any issues students may face, they are flexible with makeups and late work
Central High is a very good school, not as diverse as it could be. The academic and support is excellent. There are a few teachers that should have been retired as there are many complaints about their teaching, and unfortunately they have taught core classes that can effect GPA. But getting pass that I would highly recommend PCH to anyone.
Its a nice school. Newer building. Some staff members are not very helpful. The building is kept pretty clean.
Overall, Portage Central is a very good school. The teachers help me to be successful, and the principal tries to connect with each and every student. The school was rebuilt just a few years ago so the facilities are fantastic. Most of the people are incredibly sweet as well. I would highly recommend attending and/ or looking into Portage Central.
Portage Central High School is one of the best schools because of the people on staff who dedicate themselves to helping students. I really like this school because of how it always feels like a second home. With the different types of teachers and their different personalities, it's always possible to have a favorite teacher. There isn't as much diversity in the school because the school is located in a predominantly white area, but most pepole are open to the idea of different cultures and people. Although the workload can be easily stressful, when graduates from PCHS go off to college, they find that they are ahead in understanding the materials. This is especially true in the Spanish department because of how often people go off to college and find their abilities are more advanced than others. If you're thinking about attending PCHS I would highly reccommend it.
I'll be graduating soon from Portage Central. I've really loved my time there. You won't find a nicer group of students, and the teachers are usually equally awesome, if somewhat eccentric at times. It's got a great IB/AP/honors class selection, usually coupled with enthusiastic teachers. This school does not require students to apply to take IB (International Baccalaureate) classes towards the IB Diploma, or an IB Certificate. Something I have grumbled about throughout the years is the lack of any computer science classes, however.

One problem I will note is that the chemistry and physics classes everyone is required to take for a semester in freshman year, at least at the honors level, definitely do not win any hearts and minds in encouraging students to pursue careers in STEM. I've heard many of my classmates tell me that they chose not to take IB Physics or Chemistry as upperclassmen because of those classes. This depresses me, as the IB courses are truly wonderful.
The school has great teachers and administrators, as well as athletic programs. There are tons of clubs to join as well. Majority of the teachers love their job, making learning much easier and more fun. The IB classes do a good job of preparing you to manage your time for college, and you learn a lot of information that will be in the gen ed classes in college. Overall Portage Central really is a great school.
It offers many classes that fit your needs or desires. It has super supportive staff that can answer any questions. Very clean facility (bathrooms, classrooms,etc).
PCHS made me cry several times. Exams. People I hate. That one time I picked up my pizza and all the slimy cheese slid off. Cancelling the photography class. Exams again.
The main thing that I love about Portage Central is how loving and accepting the community is towards people from all walks of life. Anyone and everyone is accepted in this community.
Academically, PCHS was amazing for me. The IB program allowed me to push myself and see how far I could go. The activities provided by Portage Central High School have given me new families, and new passions.
Start Your Review of Portage Central High School
Everyday you have the opportunity to succeed. The resources we have available to move in our career direction and explore new opportunities is endless. I think if anything needs improvement it is the size of the parking lots to be more student friendly.
I love the diversity, the welcoming environment, and the social events at Portage Central High School. No matter what you like, you are bound to find some friends at Portage Central. Bullying is greatly looked down upon and all of the kids at the school are welcoming to new students. The huge amount of clubs and activities will make sure you meet new people and find new passions. Our school is also very good at sports so no matter what sport you play or want to learn how to play, there is a place for you at this school. The teachers make you feel very comfortable as well. If you ever have a problem with anything or anyone, the teachers will make sure to help you solve it and not let it happen again. Portage Central represents the pillars of caring, honesty, responsibility, and respect!
My overall experience being a student from portage central high school was definitely un-spectacular. I felt as though the school seemed to thrive on old times and old ways, with poor attempts to connect with the future and students. Every high school has it's up and downs, which I completely understand, however, the teachers and other adult members of the school seemed to favor students, and help seemed limited, or far away. Our school is primary white, and I have noticed discrimination against those of other races. Although the school does do an excellent job of making sure fights do not break out in the hallways, there is an extreme amount of drug abuse lingering silently through the halls of portage central. I believe that every day is a day to improve the world we live in, and the people who inhibit this world. With that being said, I believe in portage central and i know it can become a better place.