Portage Central High School is a highly rated, public school located in Portage, MI. It has 1,356 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 22 to 1. According to state test scores, 56% of students are at least proficient in math and 81% in reading.
Portage Central High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B+325 Students
- A296 Students
- A+218 Students
- B+144 Students
- B-127 Students
- A-91 Students
- B78 Students
- B58 Students
- A-54 Students
- A+44 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.19 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.19 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.23 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.23 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.23 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.36 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.36 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.36 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.38 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.38 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.38 responses
Schools like Portage Central High School
- APortage Northern High School
- Portage Public Schools, MI
- 213 reviews
- A-Gull Lake High School
- Gull Lake Community Schools, MI
- 153 reviews
- A-Mattawan High School
- Mattawan Consolidated School, MI
- 296 reviews
- B+Plainwell High School
- Plainwell Community Schools, MI
- 201 reviews
Portage Central High School Reviews
This school has tons and tons of opportunities to really put yourself out there. Teachers care about their students and make sure they are giving them what they need to be successful in the future. Our school is safe thanks to the school police officer, and the rules of conduct in our planners. The counselors work around what classes you desire and help you figure out your game plan. Classes are moderately easy if you pay attention and take notes. I would recommend this school to anyone who wants to be successful!
One of the best parts about Portage Central High School is the principal. Every time I see him in the hallway he says something along the lines of "Good morning Hailee! Still volunteering at the horse therapy place?" He never fails to remind his students that he cares and is paying attention to what is happening in their lives. The only reason I have given Portage Central 4/5 stars is because the students at Portage Central are not as kind and welcoming as other schools I have visited.
Very nice building and campus along with great athletic facilities. Many opportunities are offered in both academics and extracurriculars. Within the academics, typical classes are offered along with some AP classes and many IB classes. Education for Employment and for the Arts are also available where a student can take a class at the local community college, Western Michigan, or another high school to get hands on training tailored towards their career. For the extracurriculars, many sports are available as classes or as a full-time player at a reasonable cost. A variety of art, music, and performing arts classes are also available along with a multitude of clubs in a wide variety of hobbies. The theater program is also incredible and highly supported by the school.