Portage Central High School is a highly rated, public school located in Portage, MI. It has 1,394 students in grades 8-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 22 to 1. According to state test scores, 55% of students are at least proficient in math and 78% in reading.
Portage Central High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B+272 Students
- A248 Students
- A+181 Students
- B+124 Students
- B-107 Students
- A-71 Students
- B66 Students
- B51 Students
- A-43 Students
- A+34 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.16 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.16 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.20 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.20 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.20 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.33 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.33 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.33 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.35 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.35 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.35 responses
Schools like Portage Central High School
- APortage Northern High School
- Portage Public Schools, MI
- 194 reviews
- A-Gull Lake High School
- Gull Lake Community Schools, MI
- 150 reviews
- A-Mattawan High School
- Mattawan Consolidated School, MI
- 275 reviews
- B+Plainwell High School
- Plainwell Community Schools, MI
- 192 reviews
Portage Central High School Reviews
This school has tons and tons of opportunities to really put yourself out there. Teachers care about their students and make sure they are giving them what they need to be successful in the future. Our school is safe thanks to the school police officer, and the rules of conduct in our planners. The counselors work around what classes you desire and help you figure out your game plan. Classes are moderately easy if you pay attention and take notes. I would recommend this school to anyone who wants to be successful!
I love the diversity, the welcoming environment, and the social events at Portage Central High School. No matter what you like, you are bound to find some friends at Portage Central. Bullying is greatly looked down upon and all of the kids at the school are welcoming to new students. The huge amount of clubs and activities will make sure you meet new people and find new passions. Our school is also very good at sports so no matter what sport you play or want to learn how to play, there is a place for you at this school. The teachers make you feel very comfortable as well. If you ever have a problem with anything or anyone, the teachers will make sure to help you solve it and not let it happen again. Portage Central represents the pillars of caring, honesty, responsibility, and respect!
Portage central was a great fit for not only my special needs but also my mental health. I attended the neighboring high school Portage Northern for 3 years before transferring to central. At Portage Northern, I was bullied to the point of attempting suicide and I decided to transfer schools for personal health purposes. I attended Portage central for my last year of highschool and built a strong relationship with the staff and Principal Mr. Alburtis. Not only did my mental health improve but my grades, and relationships with people also improved.