Portage Area Junior/Senior High School is a public school located in Portage, PA. It has 409 students in grades 6-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 14 to 1. According to state test scores, 52% of students are at least proficient in math and 67% in reading.
Portage Area Junior/Senior High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B-28 Students
- A25 Students
- A-18 Students
- B-18 Students
- C+17 Students
- B+17 Students
- A+16 Students
- C+15 Students
- B-10 Students
- A9 Students
Note: School map boundaries may have changed for the current school year so please contact your school district to verify school assignment for your child.
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- We don't have enough responses to know if students agree that they feel safe at their school.Take our survey
- We don't have enough responses to know if students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.Take our survey
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.6 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.6 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.6 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.8 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.8 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.8 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.9 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.9 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.9 responses
Schools like Portage Area Junior/Senior High School
- B-Conemaugh Valley Junior/Senior High School
- Conemaugh Valley School District, PA
- 55 reviews
- C+Claysburg-Kimmel High School
- Claysburg-Kimmel School District, PA
- 34 reviews
- CBlacklick Valley Junior/Senior High School
- Blacklick Valley School District, PA
- 31 reviews
- B-Cambria Heights Senior High School
- Cambria Heights School District, PA
- 78 reviews
Portage Area Junior/Senior High School Reviews
Portage was a great school academically, however it offered no AP classes and very few clubs/extracurriculur activitied. This on top of the fact that the students and staff were very closed-minded. Almost zero thought was given to anyone who was not straight and white.
Great overall school with some fantastic teachers! They are really great with kids who need extra help and have always gone the extra mile to make sure that kids know what is being taught more than knowing answers for tests.
Many sports are available for all students and the encouragement is tremendous. Other clubs and activities for the arts are also available that many students appreciate. Many of the coaches and leaders are teachers or administrators and accept everyone and do their best to help.