Overall Niche Grade
- Academicsgrade A
- Diversitygrade C+
- Teachersgrade A minus
- College Prepgrade A minus
- Clubs & Activitiesgrade B
- Health & Safetygrade A minus
- Administrationgrade C+
- Sportsgrade A+
- Foodgrade B
- Resources & Facilitiesgrade B
Pomperaug Regional High School is a highly rated, public school located in Southbury, CT. It has 1,207 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 14 to 1. According to state test scores, 73% of students are at least proficient in math and 79% in reading.
Pomperaug Regional High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Percent Proficient - Reading
Percent Proficient - Math
Average Graduation Rate
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- grade A354 Students
- grade A+136 Students
- grade B118 Students
- grade A+117 Students
- grade B102 Students
- grade A99 Students
- grade A minus84 Students
- grade A+80 Students
- grade B minus77 Students
- grade B+74 Students
Note: School map boundaries may have changed for the current school year so please contact your school district to verify school assignment for your child.
Living in the Area
grade A minus
Overall Niche Grade
- Cost of Livinggrade C+
- Good for Familiesgrade A
- Housinggrade B
Median Household Income
Median Home Value
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
grade A minus
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school. 31 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there. 31 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 68 responses
- Football games24%
- Spirit week19%
- Our swim team has won many state titles.16%
- Mr. Pomperaug15%
- Theatre productions10%
- Basketball games6%
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive. 35 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy. 35 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic. 35 responses
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons. 47 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students. 47 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom. 47 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
$20,895 / year
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in. 53 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need. 53 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations. 53 responses
Schools like Pomperaug Regional High School
- grade B+Litchfield High School
- Litchfield Public Schools, CT
- Rating 3.49 out of 5 79 reviews
- grade ACheshire High School
- Cheshire Public Schools, CT
- Rating 3.66 out of 5 273 reviews
- grade A+Amity Regional High School
- Amity Regional School District No. 5, CT
- Rating 3.73 out of 5 345 reviews
- grade A+Joel Barlow High School
- Public School
- Redding, CT
- Rating 3.74 out of 5 211 reviews
Pomperaug Regional High School Reviews
Rating 3.53 out of 5 286 reviews
Selecting a category below will take you to another page
It's a difficult school that preps you for college. Some teachers are great and some are just awful, but that comes with every school. A lot of racism and homophobia while the administration just watches and doesn't do anything to combat it which is really frustrating. A lot of stuck up rich kids & also a lot of hicks who are disrespectful. It isn't a terrible school but it I feel like a lot of people think its better than it actually is. Academics aren't everything. Just because they prep us well for college doesn't mean you are prepped for the real world. The lack of diversity and inclusion in this school is so upsetting too.
As a senior, I look back at Pomperaug and I am truly glad that I was able to go here. Socially attending Pomperaug has been tough as a particularly shy introvert, but this year I have been able to develop a pretty solid friend group. However, school spirit and student participation are pretty low and there’s a large disconnect between staff and students, the academics are amazing and the majority of teachers are wonderful and understanding. I am more than happy to be leaving, but I am grateful for the connections I have made here and the mostly positive experiences I have had. I just wish that the communication from administration to teachers and students was more clear and compassionate, because the new schedule for the 2019-2020 year was truly awful and the need to crack down on every decent person without a hall pass was nonsensical.
My experience at Pomperaug High School has been more good than bad. I was able to achieve many accomplishments throughout my 4 years of attending. I have never had a horrible experience with any of my teachers and I constantly learn new concepts every day that expand my knowledge for the better. However, throughout my years of walking down the hallways I think our school lacks the creativity our students have. I have seen many talented students expressing their talents in ways not make people can notice. I believe if we made the halls we walk through an environment more welcoming, my experience at Pomperaug High School would be 100% better.