Pomfret School Reviews

Pomfret is a warm and welcoming community and was the perfect place for our two daughters. The academics are rigorous, but the teachers care a great amount and are always available. We felt an immediate connection to the dorm parents and advisers of our kids when we dropped them off (with some tears on both sides). We also felt confident in the headmaster, Tim Richards, and that he is heading the school into an even more elite position among small prep schools within the northeast.
Pomfret is a great small boarding school in a cute rural town in northeastern Connecticut. Sports and academics are competitive, but the close-knit nature of the school allows students to grow into their own. We were impressed with the athletics facilities and the quality of teachers. The campus is beautiful, but in a very rural location. Pomfret is traditional, but has made changes recently to modernize the schedule and introduce new technology into the classroom. Most students go on to elite colleges and seem prepared for the challenge.
Pomfret was my number one choice of boarding schools and I'm so glad that I got in. The students are friendly, but competitive. Each from (grade) has a dean that sets up events so that the form gets to know each other. Freshman live on their own side of campus, which creates a really fun environment for your first year. There is not a ton to do on the weekends so most students participate/cheer on teams, volunteer (college applications!), or take the van to Providence or Boston. My friends and the traditions are what set Pomfret apart.
Start Your Review of Pomfret School
I loved my time at Pomfret. I played lacrosse and football. We won the New England championships in football. All of my teachers were great and cared about me in class and knew me outside of class. Pomfret is small so everyone knows each other and is friends.
Pomfret is the classic small New England boarding school experience. Beautiful campus, many traditions, intense sports and academics. Most students board, so it can be tough for day students. Not a ton to do in the town of Pomfret, but the school is close to Boston and Providence and there are trips to movies, museums, concerts on the weekends.
I like the tight knit community of Pomfret. Most faculties are readily accessible because they are on campus most of their time. I like school gathering events such as school meetings and senior chapel talks when students gather as a community and listen to one another. Moreover, sports like hockey, volleyball and eight men football are also great aspects to show the sense of community in the school.
We sent our two boys to Pomfret and they loved it. The school is definitely social and most of the social events surround sports (especially boys and girls hockey). Pomfret is relatively close to Boston (where we live) so it was easy to get there and to attend games at other schools. Their college advisors were very helpful in navigating and the process and we're happy that both went to one of their top-5 schools (Middlebury and Conn College)
Pomfret is a tight-knit community where kids come from all over the US and world ready to learn. The thing that makes Pomfret different from other boarding schools is that all of the teachers live on campus and truly want to help you learn the material, rather than simply piling on more homework. There are many opportunities to get out of the classroom and sports are competitive.
I can't imagine having gone to any other boarding school. I chose Pomfret because of the pretty campus that is set in the country but is also close to Boston and New York. I started as a freshman and immediately made friends from all over the world. I graduated five years ago and still consider my Pomfret friends to be some of my best friends. There was a lot of schoolwork, but the teachers are good about making themselves available to students in the dorms or their offices. Most of my friends got into their top choice for college, as did I (Bates!). I loved having the school come together every week for events like sitdown lunch, chapel, school meeting. Pomfret was small enough so that you knew everyone, which I loved.
Pomfret is a really great school but is quite competitive socially and academically. I am pushed by my teachers and feel like I constantly have work. Luckily, almost all teachers live on campus and are available to work on a project or homework at any time. Sports run the social scene at Pomfret, so it is helpful if you come to school already a good athlete. In fact, a fair number of students are recruited for sports and end up laying in college. I have loved my time at Pomfret and have really great friends. I am excited for the new building to be finished.
Pomfret has a very beautiful campus. Great teachers and very competitive academically. More APs offered than any other boarding school. Go Griffins!
I was recruited to Pomfret for crew. I started my sophomore year and found it pretty easy to make friends. I love the campus and my teachers, Especially Mr. Gibbs.
I couldn’t have asked for a better community for my daughter. Pomfret is a great school. We enjoyed the scenery and the beautiful campus. We drove up from Boston (little over an hour) for soccer and lacrosse games. Pomfret has great sports. She is happy at Colby now and we think it is mostly because of Pomfret.
Pomfret really pushed me both academically and personally. I attended for four years (graduating in 2016) and wouldn’t trade those years for anything. I made life long friends at Pomfret.
The academics are top-notch at Pomfret. There is pressure to succeed and most students matriculate to top-tier schools. The difference between Pomfret and other boarding schools is that the teachers actually care and constantly make time for their students.
Pomfret is a very welcoming community. Lots of work, but the teachers are very accessible. Food is pretty good and dorms are new.
As a Pomfret alum, I can wholeheartedly say that this school had a massive impact on me. Pomfret challenged me academically and socially, but the support I received from the teachers, especially Dr. Brush, my advisor, helped me really come into my own. The campus was designed by Frederick Law Olmsted (architect of Central Park among other masterpieces) and is a truly idyllic setting. I enjoyed the rural setting, although it’s not for everyone. Pomfret is a school with rich traditions that has managed to stay on the cutting edge of modenirty in regards to technology in the classroom and teaching strategy.
Start Your Review of Pomfret School
I have enjoyed my time at Pomfret. The campus is gorgeous and the teachers care a lot about your development. It’s a very tight knit community. I’m glad I have my advisor, who is like my mom away from home. Close enough to Boston to check out colleges on weekends.
My experience at Pomfret has been great. I am now a senior and have been here for four years. I will really miss the beautiful campus. The new Health and Wellness center just opened and is a wonderful addition to the campus.
My first choice and I was happy when I got in. I feel like a part of a community at Pomfret. Coming from Darien, CT, there is not a ton of diversity, but the sports have gotten a lot better since my freshman year.