Plum Senior High School Reviews

I had a pretty good experience at Plum High School. Most of the teachers were friendly and truly cared about their jobs. They were there for you if you needed some extra help which was nice. I liked the senior project of job shadowing and I hope they continue this. It exposed me to the working world at an early age and I appreciate that!
Plum Senior High School has effectively prepared me for college by offering a multitude of college-in-high school and AP classes. However, the lack of school enthusiasm of the students and the lack of sufficient resources in the district are unfortunate aspects of the school that should eventually change.
As I complete my 13th year as a Plum student, I look back at that young child riding a school bus for the first time and wonder where did the time go. Overall, my Plum experience was a memorable one. Highlights include playing soccer and lacrosse as a Lady Mustang. Making lifetime friends and attending science classes that would eventually guide me on a career path to be a physical therapist.
Start Your Review of Plum Senior High School
Plum ia probably one of the nicest high schools in Pittsburgh. The facilities are all brand new and very clean. The environment is positive and great for learning. Teachers are extremely helpful and believe in their students. There is access to all kinds of resources, allowing for a variety of classes including Photography (the school has a darkroom). As of next year the school also introduced a plethora of new classes such as debate and journalism. The school is crawling with opportunity. There are many clubs and activities for everyone. I always felt safe there. The school is huge, yet as a student I always felt like I was in a small school. I was never overwhelmed by the size. Overall a great place.
Overall, a good high school if you weigh all factors.Tight knit community feel.Unfortunately quite a bit of apathy from staff and students alike.
The school itself is pretty safe, no one really feels like they're in physical danger. There are fights somewhat frequently, but they are usually provoked by both sides. Teachers intervene immediately. Last year an anonymous hotline was put in place, but no one I know has had to use it. Bullying is unfortunately prominent, but it isn't typically direct. More rumors and exclusion than anything.
There are a variety of clubs with support from the school, but a few clubs who have little to no support and help. More time is given to sports. The most popular clubs are musical, NHS, robotics, and ski/snowboard.
Some of my favorite experiences at this school have been the school plays and musicals. The production team is very committed and professional, which makes the experience all the more fun and beneficial for the students. There's about 80-100 of us in musical each year, and to handle that many people and still have a good production is incredible.
There are some teachers at plum who deserve the highest ratings, and some who shouldn't even be teachers. I would say the majority of teachers help students who struggle, are available outside of class, and genuinely care if we succeed. However, there are quite a few teachers who don't care about the class at all and barely even understand the subject they teach. For example, I had a math teacher one year who made the class very interesting and challenging, and was always there to help, then the following year a math teacher who had simple math mistakes on half of his solutions, and was so bad at explaining that I ended up tuning him out halfway through the year and instead taught myself and a few other classmates. I think the biggest problem I've faced is a lack of interest from the teachers in helping with school clubs and blatant favoritism. Some teachers are very involved with clubs, which helps make them lasting and fun, but there are quite a few clubs that have no support because the teachers willing to help don't have the time, and the teachers available refuse. Dealing with favoritism, there are a lot of teachers who make it obvious who they like more, which is reflected in their grading and availability to help. For example, one of my art teachers has been giving me feedback on my AP summer work to help improve, while one of my friends has not received a single email in reply for her work.
I wouldn't go back to this school if I had to do it all over again. After everything that's happened, that wasn't even our fault, we get punished. More rules isn't the answer, and that's why I would never go back despite having great memories with friends.
Out of all the teachers I've had throughout my four years of highschool only a few have been extremely good teachers, they'll keep you engaged and make learning fun with various labs and interacting activities
The selection of course diversity is very limited
School offers the typical sports programs. Financial support and sponsorship must be done by parents. Most teachers do not want to be involved
Teacher morale is very poor. Teacher sexual abuse of students has overshadowed the educational process
The school has little to no health and safety policies for students with medical issues
Teachers and administration are not dedicated to providing quality education to their students. School has been plagued with sexual abuse of students. School board and PTSA are very weak.
Every where you go, most likely there will be some forms of bullying. The school does try their best to stop it though, and they take great measures for the safety of their students. The health programs are wonderful and the school health staff are great people to be around. The school is overall very safe.
Start Your Review of Plum Senior High School
If you are in a sport, you will have to be extremely committed to it. Most clubs have meetings and you do have to attend, but it is not as up tight as sports are. The band/music programs you must be committed to as well because they do take them very seriously, but its a great opportunity to get involved in them! The most popular options are football, then basketball, then soccer (sports wise). Club wise, Student government, music (theater or orchestra), then organizations like GLA.
I had great friends and I enjoyed the atmosphere of the school. Overall, it was okay. I got involved in some extracurricular activities like sports such as soccer and track. I definitely recommend joining some type of club/organization in this school.
It depends on the type of teacher that you get. Some teachers go above and beyond for their students and others do not. It is a good high school though, and the educators are knowledgable.