Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A93 Students
- A+65 Students
- A-47 Students
- B36 Students
- B-28 Students
- B-25 Students
- B23 Students
- B21 Students
- C+20 Students
- B19 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.15 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.15 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 31 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.21 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.21 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.21 responses
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.30 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.30 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.30 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.34 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.34 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.34 responses
Plum Senior High School Reviews
Review Plum Senior High School
If you are in a sport, you will have to be extremely committed to it. Most clubs have meetings and you do have to attend, but it is not as up tight as sports are. The band/music programs you must be committed to as well because they do take them very seriously, but its a great opportunity to get involved in them! The most popular options are football, then basketball, then soccer (sports wise). Club wise, Student government, music (theater or orchestra), then organizations like GLA.
Plum ia probably one of the nicest high schools in Pittsburgh. The facilities are all brand new and very clean. The environment is positive and great for learning. Teachers are extremely helpful and believe in their students. There is access to all kinds of resources, allowing for a variety of classes including Photography (the school has a darkroom). As of next year the school also introduced a plethora of new classes such as debate and journalism. The school is crawling with opportunity. There are many clubs and activities for everyone. I always felt safe there. The school is huge, yet as a student I always felt like I was in a small school. I was never overwhelmed by the size. Overall a great place.
There are some teachers at plum who deserve the highest ratings, and some who shouldn't even be teachers. I would say the majority of teachers help students who struggle, are available outside of class, and genuinely care if we succeed. However, there are quite a few teachers who don't care about the class at all and barely even understand the subject they teach. For example, I had a math teacher one year who made the class very interesting and challenging, and was always there to help, then the following year a math teacher who had simple math mistakes on half of his solutions, and was so bad at explaining that I ended up tuning him out halfway through the year and instead taught myself and a few other classmates. I think the biggest problem I've faced is a lack of interest from the teachers in helping with school clubs and blatant favoritism. Some teachers are very involved with clubs, which helps make them lasting and fun, but there are quite a few clubs that have no support because the teachers willing to help don't have the time, and the teachers available refuse. Dealing with favoritism, there are a lot of teachers who make it obvious who they like more, which is reflected in their grading and availability to help. For example, one of my art teachers has been giving me feedback on my AP summer work to help improve, while one of my friends has not received a single email in reply for her work.