Pioneer High School is an elite, public school located in Ann Arbor, MI. It has 1,747 students in grades 8-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 19 to 1. According to state test scores, 61% of students are at least proficient in math and 67% in reading.
Pioneer High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A+356 Students
- A+200 Students
- B-96 Students
- B+75 Students
- B+48 Students
- A+47 Students
- A+47 Students
- A+45 Students
- A+44 Students
- A+43 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.20 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.20 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 96 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.27 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.28 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.28 responses
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.42 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.42 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.42 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.41 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.41 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.41 responses
Pioneer High School Reviews
Awesome school! Good but not overwhelming competition. REALLY bad food. I suggest you eat at home. Awesome special education support and mental health support. We have 8 minutes of passing time (as of 17-18 school year) so you have much time to get to your next class. Big school though, sort of looks like a mini mall stretched out on the outside. Three floors. Warning, expect a broken or slightly messed up bathroom stall per bathroom.
Pioneer High School is challenging and very competitive which prepares you well for college. Like most schools there are teachers that aren't as proficient as others but almost all teachers do care for you. There is a variety of available classes and options to dual enroll if the classes they offer aren't sufficient for you. There are several AP and accelerated classes students can take but they are challenging and often come along with about an hour of homework each night so be careful when choosing several APs. Being located in a college town there are several benefits brought to Pioneer. Pioneer is a somewhat diverse school, especially when compared to the schools in surrounding cities. There are groups of friends and people with similar interests but there aren't stereotypical high school cliques such as the jocks, cheerleaders and nerds which gives the student body more of a sense of community.
The teachers are nice and knowledgeable, but they could be more helpful. I have learned quite a bit, but some teachers, especially the English teachers, could give less busy work. The food could be better, but there's plenty of other great resources, such as the Career Center, where they help us out with applying for colleges and scholarships, as well as student support services such as Peer-to-Peer, which helps kids out with depression, allowing them to have someone to talk to. Pioneer also has plenty of great extracurricular activities, including the Robotics team, which I am fortunate to have been part of for a long time. Despite not having a perfect time, being at Pioneer will stick with me for a very long time.