Phillips Exeter Academy Reviews

I attended Exeter for four years from 1979 - 1983. I can't exaggerate how much good it did me. It was very challenging, but I'm certain that explains why everything in my life seemed easier after Exeter. Just saying I went to Exeter has opened doors for me, and the skills and knowledge I gained have helped me in everything I've done.
Exeter changed my life--makes you think critically. Ability here is the bare minimum. If you want to succeed you need discipline. The academic rigor is high. As a Freshman, in fact, I find college comparatively easy.

Personally, I had a mixed a time at Exeter. I had undiagnosed ADD, which made me fall behind in my classes, and my grades fluctuated a lot. I struggled with self-esteem. There was very little mental-health awareness on campus. I only found help in my Senior year. I feel if the mental-health services were competent then my ADD would have been diagnosed sooner, and my time at Exeter would have been more fulfilling.

My example was indicative of a wider problem. Exeter lacked administrative direction. For a long time little was done about sexual assault or mental illness on campus. Recently, the administration changed and now the problems are being addressed. I believe with the new direction the school will return to its best. Exeter is a great bet for the future.
PEA has good academics and extracurricular programs. It would be great if the school or teachers could encourage students to participate more in the discussions at the Harkness table.
Start Your Review of Phillips Exeter Academy
Phillips Exeter Academy is the most breathtaking high school in the nation. Sit in on any class and you will see us students driving the discussion, batting around quotes from Moby Dick or deconstructing cellular mechanics, teaching and learning from each other. All the classes are done via this style of discussion, the Harkness method, which forces students to really understand the material rather than just memorizing or cramming for a test. We learn how to think critically, whether it's by doing our own historical research or learning to design a science experiment. Through Harkness, we learn so many important soft skills too often overlooked in this digital age. And the Harkness ethos permeates so many facets of Exeter outside of the classroom: a piano becomes a sort of Harkness table for a choir group, at a team's halftime talk the players lead discussion on what needs to improve, and students have late night discussions about particle physics or Toni Morrison in their dorm rooms.
First-class education and extracurricular activities. Most of all, PEA trains self sufficiency and a go for it attitude. We love the school.
Exeter was one of the best decisions I have ever made. Coming from a first generation college background and being Mexican and Native, I was new to so much that this school offered. I learned more than I would have ever experienced in public high school, and I met people that completely altered my path in life for the best. It was stressful and challenging and at times it broke me down to my core, but only for the result of building me up stronger.
I love my school so much. I have learned so much and the school offers so many academic and extracurricular opportunities. I love the people and teachers.
I learned so much going to this school! The work is challenging but rewarding and you are surrounded by like-minded peers who all have a thirst for learning.
Phillips Exter is a very good place to start studying in the US. As a big brother in the house, I gladly saw the grown-up of my brother when he studies here. All of his characters changed rapidly after joining this school. Also, when I had my first visit here in Phillips Exeter, all people were friendly: they showed me buildings and rooms of the school, some students also wanted me to join their lunch. Teachers were so nice and funny, they really loved my brother. They kept telling about the story when he first came here like a fish out of water then weeks later, people just asked him out.
I am so happy that my brother has a chance to study here, at Phillips Exeter Academy. Hope that the counselor and teachers can push him up so that he can achieve higher in the future.
I don't like the food in Phillips Exeter Academy, also all the facilities in the school because they don't support my children to learn anything.
Phillips Exeter is an outstanding academic institution. The resources available are impressive, to say the least. You can choose from a multitude of courses offered at introductory levels through the college level. No matter what your passions are, you can likely take them to the next level. From a state of the art boathouse for the rowing program to a brand new theatre building, the facilities and faculty available foster for intellectual and athletic development for the student body.
Phillips Exeter Academy is rigorous, so very rigorous. I have never been more challenged, had less sleep, or stressed out more than when I was at PEA. I have also never been so intellectually stimulated by my classes and my friends and my teachers. PEA is difficult, there is no avoiding that, but it is an unparalleled place of learning and an experience that has changed my life.
Exeter is overall an amazing experience. I felt there was a hefty amount of schoolwork which eventually became too overbearing.
Exeter has been one of the greatest things to ever happen to me and it's only been my first year! When people are asked what they like most about Exeter, they kind of just say "the people" as a default, but it's honestly so true. There are 1100 people, but anyone can find a community through various groups. My dorm has been one of my favorite places on campus with the greatest people and I'm glad to be here. Sure, the work is challenging, but everyone pushes me to work harder and do well. I hope to experience more in the future.
As a first-generation student, Exeter was a dream and a half. I had access to resources and a way of teaching––the Harkness method––that I never thought would be possible to experience in my life. Exeter prepared me for college––I still believe that it was more rigorous than many of my college courses now. On the flip side, Exeter had a dangerous culture for competition and burn out. I am still repairing myself in terms of how I view my self-worth in relation to my grades and accolades.
Phillips Exeter Academy has offered me a place where I could meet the most amazing peers and alumni connection. This place has truly shaped me to be the person I am today. Yet at the same time, while I love this place, there are some aspects about this school that have not been so great such as the administration and certain teachers.
Absolutely amazing experience. I'm a current senior at Phillips Exeter Academy, and it has been one of the most fulfilling three years of my life.

The academics can be VERY rigorous, and the schedule a bit busy, but the students and teachers I've been surrounded with are among highest academic quality in the world. 5/5.
Start Your Review of Phillips Exeter Academy
The Harkness learning method of Phillips Exeter Academy is what makes the academic experience like no other. All of the courses are taught in the Harkness style and the Harkness learning style offers a learning opportunity like no other. Instead of being lectured at by a teacher all day, students are able to engage in conversations about the learning material, allowing them to learn from each other's perspectives and open up new horizons.
I love the Harkness style of discussion based learning and the school's recognition of its own changing culture. During my time here, I particularly enjoyed the cross country and track teams and was very happy in the dorm. I'm glad this school has brought me together with amazing people and given me the chance to improve my leadership and communication skills. The amount of care for students, from the amazing facilities to the concern of teachers, is beyond anything I expected. Another important part of my Exeter experience was the music program and the amazing faculty who run it.
Phillips Exeter Academy is a great school academically. It offers several courses that my public school back home would have never offered. It offers classes from beginner ceramics to Existentialism to Children's Literature to psychology. The teachers at Exeter are just breathtaking. There are several teachers who are well known poets, authors, textbook writers, math coaches, etc. Each teacher brings something different to the table and I think that with the academic classes, it makes the school just superb. Like all schools however it has some issues, but I have noticed that in the past years the administration has taken action to discuss and address the issues.